1970 parking brake return spring and extension rod

Discussion in 'Camaros Wanted' started by 70lt1z28, Feb 13, 2020.

1. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

2. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hi Dave,

I can't say I've ever seen that extension before...it's not in the AIM or photos of unrestored originals, sch as the 04B Norwood HO 70Z formerly owned by Jack Seymour. What's the source of the photo?

3. 70lt1z28

Hi Steve,

The source is the BAT 29k miles 1970 Z28 that was for sale awhile ago.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-chevrolet-camaro-14/

Hard to tell just how original it is as some things have obviously been changed but this part of the car appears relatively untouched. It is an 03A car so a bit earlier than mine. Maybe not the best reference, but untouched cars are really hard to find good photos of. All the restored cars seem to use the Inline Tube kit which has a spring with a long leg that seems to replace this extension rod.

I couldn't find a really good photo of Jack's (now in the Brothers collection) car. Many are being lost due to the photobucket and Imgur crap. The best I could come up with is this:

Do you have a better one?

The AIM shows changes during this time. On 4-15-70 the spring was changed to 3983025 from 3923205. What this change meant is hard to tell. The 3923205 I think was used on the 69's so I am looking at those now, but again photos of survivors in this area are hard to come by.

4. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree on the unrestored originals...but too many people make unsubstantiated claims. I pre-inspected a 31k original mile survivor 70Z a few years ago. It was really nice, but it was amazing how much had been changed/altered for apparently no reason. Here's a pretty good pic of that area on Jack's car:

Under27.E.Brake.Subframe.Etc.jpg

70lt1z28 likes this.
  5. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

0103202016.jpg
    Original 1970 05B spring (top) and Inline Tube reproduction
    Mine did not have that extension.

6. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Hard to tell in the pics, but how does the spring attach to the parking brake cable, mine is missing but I think I remember seeing it in a box of parts somewhere. Now I need to go search.

7. Dave Nelson

Looking again at the photos the shorter spring would necessitate using the extension rod, while the longer spring would eliminate using the rod. The question is when did the changes take place? My thoughts are why would they use the extension rod when the same thing could be accomplished using the longer spring?
    Camaro Chassis Supplement (1970) in the Brake Section (5-2) clearly shows spring only, no extension rod.
    Found these pics.
    https://www.camarocentral.com/1970_1974_Camaro_Emergency_Parking_Brake_Spring_p/pkb-191.htm

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  8. 70lt1z28

I'm wondering too when the change MAY have occurred. The extension rod does look OEM as well as the picture shows. It is an 03A car so fairly early. My guess is by the time Jack's car, a 04B car, rolled down the line the second design 3983025 (AIM dated 04-15-70) was being installed. There may not have been separate part numbers for the early spring-rod combo if the rod was pre-fitted by the manufacturer to the spring, hence only one part number. I would like to see a photo of Charley's 03C 1100 mile original car in this area.
    The chassis supplement manual has a drawing and it to me is a bit obscure, much like the AIM. Even Jack's car maybe due to the photo's angle makes the extension wire look much shorter than the photo Tommy posted.
    It looks like for my car (also a 04B) I would have one more likely like Jack's car, but who knows until more data points are found. It was a transition time and without seeing exactly what the differences were it is hard to tell.
    Curious if anyone car share all of Jack's photos? I have about 29 photos, but have no idea how many there were once upon a time.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I ended up installing the reproduction full length spring and it works fine. I did shorten it a hair to make the tension tighter.

10. Dave Nelson

Would you have a photo of the reproduction spring installed?