1970 rear copo spoiler questions.

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by ronzz572, Jul 25, 2010.

1. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

The real expert on the 9796 COPO spoiler is Phil Borris. You may want to reach out to him directly.

He is 70copo here but is at Yenko.net more often. He is 70 copo there.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Was one spoiler better quality than the other? Like fitment, symmetry?

3. 70 RS/Z28

70 RS/Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The initial end cap spoilers had fitment issues and needed to be massaged at times to get an acceptable fit.

4. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

And you know this how ?

5. 70 RS/Z28

Pontiac vendor AO Smith started manufacturing the Camaro end caps in "rush mode" on Temporary tooling and the production problems experienced with end cap fit significantly delayed the overall project and greatly reduced the total production.

Check Matt Avery's new book COPO, My gold 9796 is included to represent the gen 2 9796.

https://www.copothebook.com/

6. 70 RS/Z28

851705_6386737e451146138fa7b755c569263b~mv2_d_6000_4000_s_4_2.jpg

7. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

A new book about stories almost 50 years ago. Don’t think so . I see the picture of the back of your car , Looks pretty nice for rush mode ! What I am seeing on the AO Smith 476 end cap you posted the temporary tooling looks to be a very refined finished product . Do you see any evidence of body work to make it fit on the part we can’t see

8. 70 RS/Z28

The end cap I posted for comment is one I came across, it is not off my car. I guess the definition of crude would be somewhat subjective? The cap does show evidence of grinding on what would be the mating surfaces.

I'm sure that there will always be opinions on this, nothing ever changes with this subject. I have been collecting information on these cars for a long time, over a decade, not all of it is consistent. Closer to the source and the time, descriptions of the events can be found in a book "Camaro from Challenger to Champion" which is now actually in reprint. The publishing date was 1981 and the information is compiled from first hand sources based on interviews by Gary Witzenburg. Also Phil Boris, who I know personally, was able to interview Vince Piggins in person about the details of the program. His work (Phil's) on documenting these events, is extensive. I have had the pleasure of having access to Phil's documentation and the information he has accumulated is noteworthy. So I would say, the aforementioned, along with the contributions from many others, place a firm foundation under the "50 year old stories". My gold car has two build sheets, the original window sticker, copies of vehicle registrations, owner records, original license plates, and more to establish provenance. The fit and finish on my car look good, but, the opinion is subjective, is the fit an finish perfect, far from it. I dont have any plans to disassemble my car any time in the near future so, to that note, the pictured end cap is the only AOS cap I know of which can be presented for reference. If someone else has something please post it I am always interested in pursuing this information.

You were the one who asked the question, so I guess, whats your point?

70 SS/L78 and l16pilot like this.