1970 rs/ss verification

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by smedley, Oct 12, 2020.

1. smedley

smedley New Member

Hi Folks,
    I am currently looking at a 1970 rs/ss bigblock 4spd car built in Van Nuys Ca.
    All i can tell from vin and trim tag is it was a v8, cranberry red, and had standard black interior. It does have a 12 bolt. What are the chances of this being a real bigblock 4 spd car?
    How many were built in Ca?
    Probably end up with it anyway for a winter project, but would be nice to know

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

A Van Nuys car is difficult to identify because the cowl tag has no information on it about SS or RS. There are no records to show how many SS or RS cars were built in LA. The 12 bolt is a good indicator. Look at the date code on it to see if it fits the build time of the car. If it does, that suggests that it is original to that car. Then, check the code.
    Z28 used either 3.73 or 4.10 12 bolts
    SS396/375 used either 3.55 or 4.10
    SS396/350 used 3.31
    SS350 used either 3.07 or 3.31
    These would be the only 12 bolts installed in 1970 Camaros.

If it is a SS396, then it would need to have a rear swaybar. That doesn't prove it to be one however as the rear swaybar was optional on any other Camaro. SS396/375 rear ends would be posi.

Does it have an engine? If so, check what it is. An original engine would have the VIN on it. Same with the 4 speed. For an SS, it should be a Muncie and have the VIN.

RS is just what it is. It is body trim. If it has the RS front end and it is complete, then you can fairly safely assume it is an original RS.

2ndGenCrazy likes this.
  3. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to the Forum. Check the fuel line...should be 3/8" and with any luck, there should be a build sheet on top the gas tank...and possibly stuffed into the rear seat cushion. A build sheet will be the proof-positive...if it still exists. There was no breakdown of how many SS-396 cars were built in Van Nuys vs Norwood...only estimates and guesses.

4. smedley

smedley New Member

Ok thanks guys, i will check it out a little more this week... No engine in it now but i have a 396 to put in it....I doubt there is a build sheet as interior is out of it now....always wanted a bigblock 4spd 2nd gen. so we will see what happens..

5. ggtsvnv

ggtsvnv Veteran Member

Check the part numbers on the engine mounts bolted on the crossmember for the subframe. Small block mounts and big block have different part numbers. I don't remember the numbers off hand but it been discussed before here so if you do a search you should find them. It sounds like my car. It's a LA built 70 L34 RS/SS 396, cranberry red, black interior,with the L34 however mine is a turbo 400 car.
    Good luck it sounds like a nice find.

2ndGenCrazy and smedley like this.
  6. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I happened to have this at my finger tips...
    Standard SB engine mounts should be 3964890 for LH (or drivers side) and 3930930 for RH (or passenger side). These are the taller ones.

Z/28 and BB mounts should be 3964886 RH and 3982307 LH which are shorter (for obvious reasons).

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would look for a Norwood car that was shipped to Canada when new cause you can get the RPO paperwork from the GM Vintage Group in Oshawa from my friend George Zapora.

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Being an LA car, at the end of the day you need paperwork to prove authenticity to be a high dollar car. The partial vin on the engine and trans will help significantly.

9. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Exactly how I found out my "stripeless" '74 z28 was originally a striped car. Stripes were removed some time after about 1979 and when I bought it in 1984.

10. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Any news on the car?
    The part numbers on the engine frame mounts will be your best clue to being a big block or small block, along with the 3 letter code on the rear axle. The are several other little things that all add up to help confirm too.