1970 seat upholstery choices!

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by 67johnny, Nov 28, 2019.

1. 67johnny

67johnny Veteran Member

Hey all.
    I would like to put on a nice set of black basket weave seat covers.
    Who does it best... PUI or ...
    Thanks.

2. 67johnny

67johnny Veteran Member

TTT

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I'd guess that no matter where you buy these they will be PUI. But they do look good and fit right. Mine are about 15 years old and still look like new.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Legendary usually has the highest quality.
    What you may not know is that the basket weave (actually, Comfort weave) is no longer produced. It really was a woven nylon-vinyl strand material. You can hold a light up behind it and see through it.

Not sure if it's true, but the last machine that made it is in Fukushima Japan and it'll be a few centuries before its running again!
    What they sell (including I'm told Legendary) is an embossed vinyl sheet like most other seat covers. It looks pretty good until you get up close. If you can get a hold of some of the last remaining real Comfortweave (also used in Corvette's, Boss Mustangs, etc), then you have to pay someone to stitch up the seat covers. Expect to pay about 2 to 3 grand for a complete set.

5. 67johnny

67johnny Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply's and great info on the Fukushima deal!
    I was looking online and the Legendary stuff looks nice! Not sure if its there own or PUI or???

6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I was going to go legendary, but by the time I cost out the foam, covers, and hardware to do it myself, it would be cheaper to just buy some TMI low back seats for 800 ish dollars, Ive seen them in person, and they look nice. Ill probably sell my old 70 seats.

7. 70lt1z28

Generally speaking, I find good restoring is almost always more expensive than replacing. Depends on your end goal. Most likely also your finished car will appeal to a wider audience than a restored-to-original-spec car.

8. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

The 70 seats are ACTUALLY basket weave NOT comfort weave.
    -1970 BASKET WEAVE - 30k mile survivor 70 Z28
    1970_basketweave.jpg
    1973 COMFORT WEAVE
    Comfortweave_detail.jpg

SMS FABRICS in OREGON has NOS COMFORT WEAVE, they most likely have NOS basket weave as well - they made a set of seat covers for the 73 RS LT Z28 using NOS comfortweave material for somewhere around 1500... and we had them with in 6 months.
    FWIW I have been trying to find REAL comfort weave since 2008 so I doubt FUKISHIMA was the cause of the machine's demise.

9. 70lt1z28

Not sure about the machine, but my car definitely has Comfortweave:

Attached Files:

10. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

.......Based on what I've read on this forum over the past few years, Legendary
    Interiors is the best. However they are costly @ $385 for the front buckets at Classic industries. Thats for the standard 1970 interior. The reproduction standard interior front seat covers by PUI at CI are $260.
    About 30 yrs ago I replaced the drivers seat cover on my 70 with a reproduction PUI cover from CI (CI calls it "diamond waffle grain", which looks like that pictured in post #9). It perfectly matched the original seat cover. This last year I replaced the passenger side cover with a PUI seat cover and again it was a perfect match to the original. Although Legendary is probably better quality, I'm pleased with the the PUI seat covers.

Attached Files: