1970 trunk lid Camaro emblem question

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Steve Kays, May 30, 2021.

1. Steve Kays

Steve Kays New Member

Hello, I’ve started the restoration of my 1970 RS/SS, which has a tall rear spoiler. When I removed the center spoiler section, I found the mounting holes for the “Camaro by Chevrolet” emblem beneath. Does anyone know if the factory drilled the emblem mounting holes on all cars? (which would just be covered by those that were spoiler equipped) And last, was the emblem ever installed on tall spoiler cars? My car was built in LA (June - 70). Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The tall 3-piece rear "COPO" spoiler was only an option on the Z-28 in 1970 and was introduced late in the model year production. The "Camaro by Chevrolet" trunk emblem was not used if the 3-piece COPO spoiler was ordered. Even on the Z-28 one-piece spoiler, the emblem would have been relocated further forward to clear the spoiler. Holes would not have been drilled unless the emblem was placed in that position.

Steve Kays likes this.
  3. Steve Kays

Steve Kays New Member

Thanks very much for the information. I didn’t think that the drilled spoiler holes looked factory. That certainly clears it up!

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Your trunk lid is from a non spoiler car. My car was the same way when I installed a tall spoiler. Lucky for me the center spoiler covers the holes. Funny thing is now I have non spoiler Firebird trunk lid and again, the emblem holes I left and the spoiler covers them.

what clues led you to think the spoiler holes were not factory?

Steve Kays likes this.
  5. Steve Kays

Steve Kays New Member

The spoiler pieces are all GM, which made me think it was possibly original. But when I really looked at the holes drilled in the trunk lid, and quarters, it looked like someone was drinking heavily when they installed it! (Definitely not a factory job)

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Lol, I would think the factory was drinking by the factory hole location on many of them. You never can tell all the time these days. Many people like me only use GM parts when possible.

Steve Kays likes this.
  7. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The spoiler may very well be an original GM piece...but is is not original to your car.

Steve Kays likes this.
  8. Steve Kays

Steve Kays New Member

haha! Good point Badazz!

9. Steve Kays

Steve Kays New Member

Gotcha, but just to be clear, were spoilers only installed on Z/28’s in 1970? Or, was there a similar type 1969 “D80” code, that allowed spoilers to be installed on as SS, RS, or RS/SS?

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Bamaro and Steve Kays like this.