1970 Z ? Engine is.. Car not?

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by Racytracy, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Racytracy

Racytracy Member

Please help enlighten me..
    I’ve used this site and got great direction, now I’m still uncertain if this car in my possession is indeed a 1970 Z. It’s a basket project that is newly paint and a million parts...missing many

Good Facts :
    LA built
    Trim tag is 06C.
    Classic Copper black standard int

Engine is a correct casting, correct time frame(month before car build), correct V0515 CTC stamp as car is a TH400 model. 12 bolt rear

Bad facts:
    According to what I read here on this site

A swing gas pedal (many debates here)
    no vin on block that I can find(not on pad, not by oil filter)

heads are 3973370 (debates here again) but have guide plates/studs

12 bolt code is coming up for a 1970 SS model. COW Coded

no rear sway bar welded brackets
    Current tach is 7000

OK GO...

2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Might look for the spacers on the front lower A frame bump stops. One of those things that most people aren't aware of and don't mess with them.

3. Racytracy

Racytracy Member

Thanks Tom3
    Looked for them
    Missing all bump stops and hardware

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Unless you can find either a VIN on the engine, or reliable paperwork, you will likely never know for sure. Too much has happened to that car in the last 50 years to know from the car itself. The heads are not correct, but in 50 years could have likely been changed if there was an original one that cracked or otherwise failed. The gas pedal also isn't correct. The rear swaybar mounts need to be welded to the frame, so that makes it unlikely that the body is from an original Z. The COW rear end is a puzzler. COW decoded to be a 3.55 open rear which according to what we know, was not used on Camaro in 1970. The only 3.55 option was on the SS396/375, and that option mandated a posi rear end which would be a COX coded rear. The only application that GM had that used the 3.55 was the Pontiac Trans Am and Pontiac used only the COX posi rear like Chevy. Nobody lists the COW rear end as having been made at all. So, you have a "rare" rear end.
    The engines were stamped with a partial VIN. A diligent search by the filter should turn one up. Often, they are almost impossible to see.

5. dkcamaro

dkcamaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Is there a Vin number stamped on the transmission?

6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I had to clean with lacquer thinner all the paint off the casting and then with my phone take several photos with flash on and flash off and from several different angles to see some of the numbers. One angle would show some of the number, another angle would reveal others. If you have the original trans, take a look at the partial VIN on it. The same gang stamp was used on the trans and the engine so it can give you a clue to what you are looking for.

It was a Van Nuys built car, but was it originally delivered to a CA dealer? If so, it would have had the NA9 emissions option which would have had the charcoal canister in the left inner fender behind the headlight. If that is still there (probably not, almost all were pitched), I think it is unique to Holley carb equipped cars (Z28, L78). It had 4 connections for hoses and the others only had 3 I believe.

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Show some Pic's.

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3973370 - 1969-1970 these heads only came with 1.94 intake/1.60 exhaust with camel humps. None of the 370's had the original screw-in-stud/guide plate option from G.M. Used on 350, 64cc chambers, straight plugs or angle plugs.
    If they have screw in studs and guide plates then someone may have also machined the valves to accept the 2.02 / 1.60 valves as I did.

9. Racytracy

Racytracy Member

Agreed
    They are on the engine still
    I will need to remove them to see

Attached Files:

10. Racytracy

Racytracy Member

Agreed that the rear must be rare. Date code is early (pic)
    I also have a L34 auto car with 03E build. Maybe it’s best I use the COW there?
    I searched the area for vin, no luck. I am on the fence as to a real car. But ,but how likely would it be to have the engine put in with so close of matching date code AND SUFFIX?V0515CTC
    The pic of rear end cast date matches the COW Stamp with A 15 O ... I’m stumped

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020