1970 Z28 4 speed fluid question

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by VoodooChildZ28, Jul 9, 2020.

1. VoodooChildZ28

VoodooChildZ28 1970 Z28

COPO thank you!! I’m assuming I don’t need to add the GM LSD additive to the redline fluid listed above 75W-90 Redline? Since it already contains friction modification or would you add to it as well

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You are correct, The Redline already has the modifier in it

3. VoodooChildZ28

VoodooChildZ28 1970 Z28

Thanks LOWEND ordered today from summit will arrive by Wednesday. all I gotta do is unbolt the rear, let it drain , new gasket and torque to spec? Then Refill from fill hole? Also Muncie has a drain & fill plug , simple drain and refill from fill hole?

Thanks for your advice ! So happy I found this forum !

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^ yes to both ^
    This is my friend.
    [​IMG]

5. VoodooChildZ28

VoodooChildZ28 1970 Z28

COPO where did you find that pump ? I checked all local places open today and no dice, only grease guns or quart/gallon pumps. Yours I’m sure is superior

6. COPO

I bought mine back in 1975 when China auto junk wasn’t on store shelves. If your auto stores don’t sell them then check Amazon. Some bad reviews on these China made units. I would buy it from a store where it can be easy to return if it’s junk.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/suction-guns?sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending&keyword=Suction Gun&kr=Suction Gun

https://www.harborfreight.com/oil-suction-gun-95468.html

https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Elec...eywords=Oil+suction+gun&qid=1594558369&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648756-Suction-Gun/dp/B004KEJXZA/ref=psdc_15707871_t3_B0002SRJCM

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  7. VoodooChildZ28

VoodooChildZ28 1970 Z28

Thanks again COPO. Got under the Z today to inspect closer and definitely could use a new gasket but a small leak looks like it might be coming from drain plug(small leak almost looks like was never cleaned after fill and slight trickle). Does it have a washer or scrap and replace plug? Also should I jack it up from rear axle then set on jack stands or reverse on to ramps?

8. COPO

Those plugs should not leak. I don’t use any dope or sealer on the threads and they never have leaked. I’m sure it’s getting blown from another area while your driving or it could be engine oil.
    Jack up on the passenger side and use a jack stand, fill, lower car and check level with your baby finger, S/b 1/4” below the lower fill threads. Then go for a drive then open the fill plug and fill until it starts to drip out.

9. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

I'm using Amsoil MTG in mine. A syncronizer engineer from New Process told me that they tested many oils and this one came out on top. I'm also using Amsoil Severe Gear in the rear end.

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

Having had a Chinese one barf expensive synthetic synchromesh trans oil all over me on the third pump (even I last longer than that!) I second the suggestion to not buy a cheap one.