1970 Z28 4 speed fluid question

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by VoodooChildZ28, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I had exactly the same experience. I picked up a cheap suction gun and when I tried to use it, more fluid came out the rear than came out the front. At that point, I stopped and poured the oil back into the bottle and did it the hard way. I see that now Amsoil sells their gear lubes in flexable plastic bags so you can get them up where you need them and pour directly from the bag with no tools or mess.
    https://www.amsoil.com/p/manual-tra...r-lube-75w-90-mtg/?code=MTGPK-EA#pills-home_0

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

That is a better solution than than buying a good transfer pump, especially if you will only use it a few times.

3. hd_cat

hd_cat Member

If it's grinding going into 3rd, you might check the synchro ring, I had a Vette with a broken synchro ring when I was a kid, had to rebuild the trans to replace it! I have also heard that synthetic gear oil is too slick for some transmissions. I just bought Driven Gear Oil for a freshly rebuilt Super T-10 in the '73 Camaro

4. Gary S

Apparently my trannys and big gear head's trannys didn't hear what you heard. Ours work great with synthetic fluid. Don't believe everything you hear.

5. VoodooChildZ28

VoodooChildZ28 1970 Z28

It doesn’t grind, it just doesn’t know it exists. No matter how I try to go right of first it down shifts to 1st. The clutch definitely needs an adjustment at a minimum so after fluid swap I’m probably taking the Z to a transmission shop. Just don’t like other people working on my cars. Knowing how the previous owner drove this it doesn’t surprise me if he never realized this or simply over time lack of driving has just worn out a lot of things.

6. Gary S

It sounds like the shifter might be hanging up in the 1-2 gate and not moving over into the 3-4 gate. Some cleaning and adjusting of the shifter might be a place to start.

VoodooChildZ28 likes this.