1970 Z28 on Ebay -Anybody know this car?

Discussion in 'Auctions and Online Sales' started by clm69z28, Jul 19, 2020.

1. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Yes, the car definitely is nice looking but there are some rather obvious blunders. I was checking COPO's '70 pics and I can sure see that the z28 emblems on the fenders are far too close to the respective doors. That stands out quite a bit.

2. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

I don't own it anymore. I owned it from 2011 to 2017. Just do a search here under my username for some history.

The only knock on this original drivetrain auto RSZ built to be sold in CalifornIA is the front badge placement on the GM fenders (You know using GM fenders is not a bad thing) by the body shop that did the work in Arizona back in 2005. That's how old the paint is on this car. I even know the backstory of how the paint shop even wound up with this car and took it to auction. Lets just say it doesn't turn out well when you take your car to a friends fairly high end Auto body Shop in Phoenix, Arizona and you can't pay the bill.

The inside trunk rim is still in original paint. The car was not a frame off restoration. The underbody was (is) still in original condition albeit 50 years of patina with most of it out west.

When I got it, the odometer had a little over 43,000 miles on it as did the Arizona title. I drove it, loved on it and enjoyed the heck out of it for about 7-8000 miles. The car runs out fantastic.

I got a hankering for a 4 speed 70 RSZ which is what I'm playing with now.

Is it absolutely perfect? Probably not. What's it worth? Beats me, let the market decide. If the fenders make you lose sleep at night, I think you would come out money ahead by repairing the fenders than doing a complete restore on a 70RSZ Auto with its original 410 gear drivetrain.

flht99b likes this.
  3. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member Gold Member

Original drivetrain, runs good, looks good, real Z28. Picking it to death adds nothing. Due to the type of car it is (muscle/pony car) and being 50 years old, it is a great example. I owned a couple of early 2nd gens when they were fairly new and hadn't been modified yet, build quality, especially fits were never very good. That's how these cars were.

biendog likes this.
  4. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chris, For what its worth here the stamp is missing the 1 on it. I dont feel there is any foul play here with it. Vanuys has a history with me of a few miss stamps. But here is a picture of a 70 z28 I know of with the 1 on it i have in my pictures. The rest of the car stamps look good to me. Brian bkmont is a well known member here on the site. And a good guy. I would contact him more about the car. The car appears to be all legit to me. Other than its way over priced, The fenders and a few other minor issues. If it were a fresh restoration it would be in the price ballpark. HPIM0755.JPG

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Oh yes, the issues with it are surely fixable...by looking at the car and what needs to be done...many would agree the price is rich...

The car looks to be a good driver, the fenders wouldnt bother me as much as the black interior poking through the green die would...to bring this Z into the condition is deserves to be, its going to require some $$$.

6. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I cannot speak for the car itself, but the previous owner is a stand-up guy and has no dog in the fight, so in my opinion, he's giving a real assessment of the vehicle and not hyping it at all.