1970 z28 wheel paint

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by ralph amitrano, Jun 27, 2018.

1. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

NO THE FACTORY DID NOT GO THROUGH HEROICS - DIDN'T BUT WHERE CAN ONE PURCHASE SUEDE ADDITIVE? EVERYTHING SPECIAL IS DONE TO ACHIEVE THE SUEDE LOOK!

That being said given the fact that the primer color is grey I would say that the Wheels were painted with the mag finish when they arrived at the assembly plants otherwise they would have been black flow coat primer baked on like every other wheel which was used on Camaro's. If they were not black flowcoat primed they were painted when they arrived. (Two color wheels -spoked SS & Pontiac RallyII - were also delivered painted)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The suede additive and also the texture additive are still likely available from Ditzler today. You can check with your Ditzler supplier to find out. If you look at post #10 in this thread, I posted the components used in DDL32961 laquer. Then, I took those Ditzler numbers and ran them on Ditzler's site. Most of those components are still listed for use with Ditzler Deltron urethane paint.
    http://www.nastyz28.com/threads/1970-z28-wheel-paint.319797/#post-3648259

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Those turned out great. Do you have any idea what the durability of the finish will be on the road?
    Has anyone had a set powder coated to look like the original finish? Is there a powder coat color that is close and if so how did they look when done?

4. secondgenaddict

I have the formula, but it doesn't convert to AXALTA or SPEIS - and also can't get anyone in the area to mix it in lacquer.

I am not willing to just take someone mixing something without me having tints to get a correct color match to MY EYE. I typically spend 20 hours with tints and doing spray outs to get PERFECT COLOR MATCHES on metallics not only when viewed directly from the front of the surface but also at 45 degree side shifts to the surface.

The durability of the originals is not very GOOD - I feel that if these hold up as well as factory wheels I have seen at 20k miles then I will be very happy.
    I don't plan on heavy brushing them when cleaning them... that will be the test.
    The actual feel of the wheel is like a RAW casting, the texture feels so much like the spray out card of the DDL Lacquer formula I am amazed, I have rubbed pretty hard and quite a bit on one of them and I get no diminishing of the texture or color.

For prep - They were sandblasted etch primed and then shot with catalyzed mixed grey enamel which would be the corrosion protection and then the color is also catalyzed and is covers the grey well, I have shot catalyzed Chroma Premier on wheels and Grilles in the past with no issues after 20 years so it is durable and stands up to the elements/driving/rain/washing etc. - If you don't catalyze it I wouldn't expect it hold up to road abuse.

snydes likes this.
  5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

After sandblasting, they look correct so you could just spray a dull clear on it and be done with it.

6. secondgenaddict

I can't tell you how satisfied I am with the way the wheels look, the 30k mile 1970 Z28 will be arriving this week and I am going to compare them... however I threw an original assembly line cap and band on one and snapped a few pictures.

The lighter ones are WITH FLASH the darker are without...

100_2020.JPG 100_2021.JPG 100_2022.JPG 100_2026.JPG 100_2028.JPG 100_2041.JPG 100_2047.JPG 100_2048.JPG

snydes and 70lt1z28 like this.
  7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Very nice. Good work as always

8. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice job! The color and texture on your rims looks very good.

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like to see rim pics outside rather than with a flash.

10. secondgenaddict

Ask and you shall receive....
    Both outside, first in the sunshine the other in the shade IMG_0077.jpg IMG_0078.jpg

snydes and TommyRS70 like this.