1971 402 Vs. 1972 402

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by diablonut59, Aug 5, 2018.

1. diablonut59

diablonut59 Member

I'm looking at buying a 71 402 complete engine for my 72 Camaro LS3 SS tribute(clone) I can get a 72 Chevelle 402 also, but I already told a friend I'd buy his 402 from a 71 Chevelle. Any difference between 71 and 72's? Most would say put a 454 in her and forget about it, but I think it would be cool to make it as close as I can to a "real" 72 SS LS3 if she was born that way. I know it isn't the real deal but finding one? Good luck, at least reasonably priced.. LOL Thanks...

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The '71 and '72 402 engines were essentially the same. They used the same block. The heads were a different casting, but the specs were the same between the two numbers. Chevy changed how they rated the HP of the engine, but the engine didn't change.

diablonut59 likes this.
  3. diablonut59

diablonut59 Member

Ended up buying the 71 for $600 included was some brackets, quadrajet, distributor H.E.I. and bolt-ons(starter,w/pump,balancer). Just want to steer from the norm and use a genuine 402 dated from 71-72.. Might be an SS clone when I'm done but I think cool to make it just like it would have been if real. So many years of pleasing customers now I want to do my own thing popular or not. LOL

jeff swisher likes this.
  4. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

cool

5. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

All that matters is that you're happy

6. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Disagree. Clones are counterfeits. Call it what you want, but it's a fake. Right up there with wearing fake designer clothes, luxury watches etc..it;s pretending to be something it isn't. 71-72 SS396 are rare cars and fakes hurt the whole breed. Build a BB Camaro, cool. But hanging SS badges and trying to make a Xerox is not.

7. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

How does it ‘hurt’ the whole breed? He’s not stamping the block, correct? He’s not misrepresenting the car- He’s building a clone or tribute.

The motor will be cast correct, and I agree that it does increase the cool factor. Not only that, it’s likely a better casting and less likely to core shift than anything new. Better part and increases cool factor. A win-win.

8. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

In my opinion, it would only become a problem if he tried selling it as a real SS396 car. Other then that, it's his car to do what he wants with.
    NYH1.

nuhmizer likes this.
  9. Bikefixr

Anyone can do anything they want with their car. But should they? Someday the car will be sold. And sold again. And the stories start getting added. We've all seen it..people trying to find some way to justify their fake as a real car. There are more '69 Z-28's registered today than GM ever made. Same for about a dozen other cars. Truth gets lost with time. A fake is a fake is a fake.

10. Bikefixr

The guy selling $200 Rolex watches would say the same thing. When fakes outnumber the real deal, then they all become suspect. Ask '67 427 Corvette owners about 'tributes' and how the 'clones' have forced them to prove that their cars are the real thing. Ask Nasty-Z member Chuck Sharin about the THREE cars claiming to be a real ZL-1 that he once owned (while the real body sits in his possession still...). The truth about cloned cars gets lost with each new owner. I've seen several fake '70 Z's at the local shows. Not ONE owner admits it. Not one. Try 'cloning' some US currency and see how that works out.
    As for block stamping, how do we know he won't? Or maybe the next guy will do it. The only thing that prevents more people from making knockoffs of the 71-72 BB cars are some of the ultra-rare pieces like fan shrouds, radiators and air cleaners that aren't repopped and likely never will be.