1971 402 Vs. 1972 402

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by diablonut59, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

People who build clones most people don`t have an issue with .Its when you build a "clone" and tried to make it out as the real thing .Is when people get really upset and may have some legal issues as well.

2. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Ok, I get it. It does increase the likelihood that the car will be misrepresented in the future, but when that happens, you can’t indict a prior owner that was honest about it.

It all comes down to perspective. If you’re all about the numbers match rare cars- especially if you own one- you’re gonna be protective of your brand. If you haven’t owned the car for 30 years, you’re going to have some significant $$ invested in that unique brand.

But are clones impacting the values of the real cars- the cars that have documented histories that are ‘certified’ by people that know better? I just don’t buy it. I don’t fault the guy for building a clone and wanting a cast correct engine. It’s his personal property, and if he’s going to build an engine, the period correct casting is a better component. It still makes the car more authentic.

My first Camaro was a clone. I had it painted a deep corvette yellow, so it got a lot of attention. People would leave notes under the wiper explaining it was a fake. No kidding... It had a fiberglass L88 hood for goodness sakes! I didn’t give a damn. I suspect it was vandalized once for the same reason. It was hard to laugh it off after that. I still deal deal with that. I have documentation and history out the wazoo for my car, yet somedody implied that a small fraction of it was fake.

So that explains my perspective. The people that misrepresent the cars deserve to be shamed, period. A guy that defends a fake? Well as they say a sucker is born every day. That’s the value of the community here. This is where the truth can be discovered.

nuhmizer likes this.
  3. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I doñ't fault the OP for making a clone . Its his car to do as he pleases. I once helped out a corvette restoration shop. They , did not fake cars and sell them. But, they would do anything a person wanted , make any car from scratch , build a dream car mid year 63-67 you wanted . You supply the money . Some cars were legit . Many were shells with little to prove they were BB cars. I mean i saw hulks with everything but two doors and frame . Maybe the tach , the Electronic Ig box , maybe a a M22 . springs , bits and piece that might lead you to believe it was once a BB midyear. After they were finished , every chalk mark , nothing was left un turned , they would buy stamped blocks , what ever the owner wanted. most cars that were yellow , white , green became black and red or blue . They replaced most all the interiors with none original colors . Now ....this has been 25 years ago , i bet most of these guys are dead now ....the families sold the corvettes . The question is werevthey sold as originals I bet so. I remember one old man like 85 bought a total restored 65 FI coupe . The block might have been original , but it was restamped . He paid like 125,000.00 He has to be dead , i wonder who,has thta car . Black with Siver leather 375HP . There was no proof itbwas ever this car from the fcatory. I saw manybe 100 midyear corvettes BUILT to customers specs before they closed retired. One dude in PA had them built 5 65 396 Corvettes . Not sure if any had original blocks . But all left with restamped blocks . I would not trust any midyear corvette or 69 Z28 with out loads of pics and papers to verify . In the the 70's these cars mostly had NO engines sitting behind garages , much less numbers matching blocks. I looked for my late BB corvette for like 18 years and 99% had the wrong engines , factory warrenty , or machined numbers off block. The family members that inherit these cars , don't know the he story or it gets changed over decades. All hey know is their father or uncle was a fanatic and it MUST be correct . If having the original block means something to you , stay away from corvettes.