1971 camaro lowering springs TOO low

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by valleyguy, Nov 14, 2020.

1. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER Member

I upgraded the stock Z28 springs which I think were around 350 lbs/in to Guldstrand autox springs 650 lbs/in. The springs were cut multiple times to get the right stance (trial and error). I drove the car several years until I upgraded again to Guldstrand race springs 900 lbs/in because I was still experiencing too much dive while autoxing. Again the springs were cut to get the right stance. No spacers. Because the springs were cut, the spring rate probably exceeds 1000 lbs/in. One would think that 1000 lbs/in would be too much, it isnt. My ride is still compliant and not jarring in my opinion. I also use ridetech adjustable shocks with custom valving to control the springs. Also my front end is light due to an aluminum 427 sbc.

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Tough to argue with that experience. Just out of interest, do you have any videos of your car at an event? Would be cool to see.

3. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

I do have videos but I dont know how to attach them to the forum. My son is coming over today, maybe he can help me.

4. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Can you post a pic ?

5. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

Actually a photo of my car is on the Nasty Z28 calender (november-this month) if you have a calendar. If not, I will try to post another picture.

6. OLD SCHOOL AUTOCROSSER

OLD SCHOOL AUTOCROSSER New Member

The below link is the video of the Goodguys autox in Scottsdale, AZ 2019. Also is a pic of autox at the Port of Los Angeles at a POC (porches owners club) event.

Attached Files:

Coadster32 likes this.
  7. mid77z28

mid77z28 Veteran Member

Gerald,
    Is the 10 bolt in your car stock?

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Very cool! Great job on the car.

9. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

The 10 bolt ring and pinion is GM stock (3.73) . The limited slip is a clutch disk type Eaton set up by Tom's Differential in Paramount, CA. The GM 10 bolt is very underated , strong and reliable for autox, and its much lighter than the 9", so it reduces unsprung weight. I have autox on this same rear end for more than 15 years with no maintenance and no problems. The disks are set up tight so there is some occasional clicking noises going slowly around a tight turn. I have been thinking about upgrading to trutrac, but you know me, I'm old school. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

10. unrestored72Z

unrestored72Z Veteran Member

I did not that is the approximate ecpected outcome.