1971 Camaro Z28 LS Swap

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by SpencerH3404, Jun 6, 2021 at 8:52 PM.

1. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Tilden - the company that sells the LS1 package is owned by an old friend and former co-worker, he does some very cool stuff with LSx kits/swaps. All sorts of little wiring harness people wish they had when they started the project

The most apples-to-apples engine comparison to the LS3 is probably the SP383 EFI Delux which is a damn good package for a street motor. But its down 75 HP and costs $8500 and is heavier with the iron block. Can the average street Camaro take advantage of the extra 75HP between the LS3 and the SP383... probably not.
    In theory - this will drop in with your existing accessories and such (plus a fuel pump setup and some odds n in's). I'd bet $10K by the time everything is accounted for, assuming you do the install yourself. Add about $3000 for someone else to do the swap (~30 hours @ $100/hr)

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Hmmm 75hp less and a little heavier...that might be considerable in the 1/4. When I went from the LS1 at 460 to the tires to the LS7 at 555 to the tires, I increased mph by ~12mph. Dropped only 1/2 second, but traction suffered more.

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

THat's the issue - most street early Camaro's won't be able to find traction with either motor.

4. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

I only had a stock LS2 in my 73, traction was an issue for sure.

5. badazz81z28

Agree, that’s why I think it’s a waste to have 1,000+ Hp in these modern cars. Not only that you can’t use the power, you literally can’t use it legally on the street. The LS7 I have, I feel it’s power is useless as a daily driver.

6. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

WOW! Obviously you’re going to spend some money on it, but with all the LS swaps you see these days I didn’t think it would cost much more than half that, especially with a used engine. I’ve been toying with the idea of an LS swap in my ‘85 C10, but I suddenly have a new appreciation for the tuned port 350 that’s in it now! Thanks for the eye opening info!

7. Z-Life

Z-Life Nasty Member

I saw a race comparison between C8 and Demon, the C8 smoked the Demon from a dead stop, but the Demon won from a roll at 50mph. Much agreed the 1000 HP isnt much good on the street and that comparison clearly proves it.

8. Lowend

@T/A Tom - I'm sure there are guys who can do LS swaps cheaper using junkyard parts etc. The Camaro engine bay is much tighter than the Blazer so you have to use some very specific items to fit. On that bigger Blazer chassis you may be able to get away without the custom accessory drive, using factory exhaust manifolds. I don't really know on that chassis.
    I will say I know the Tilden guys have done tons of swaps on that chassis. The owner started on an 80's Blazer that he took from a TPI swap to an LS. if you call them Kevin will probably have some insights on a full "kit".

9. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

Ok, again great info. Thanks!

10. badazz81z28

Lol, the C8 probably has it in top speed, the Demon is a 9 sec 1/4 car...the C8 is not. Must have been a very biased comparison