1971 Custom Paint Code - What Color?

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by 71Z28454, Nov 21, 2010.

1. 71Z28454

71Z28454 New Member

Hey everybody! I am interested in finding out what the original paint color was on my 1971 Z28. I have had the car since 1986 and am interested in possibly painting it the original color. I have researched many posts on this site as well as others and have found nothing. I see lots of "- -" color postings which mean the car was painted a custom color but I have an actual code on my tag. The code on my cowl tag is 927-99942. This is a Van Nuys car and the original color is kind of blueish green. If you have any idea how to determine an actual color name that I can buy in PPG or other brand, I would appreciate hearing from you!!

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Your build sheet would likely specify the color. Without that, all you can do is guess from the remnants of the original paint left on the car.

3. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

post a picture of your body tag and try to find some unfaded paint under the door panel or under the rear inner panels

then having that search other GM product lines for that color, it is LIKELY a stock 71 GM color ...

4. 71Z28454

71Z28454 New Member

Guys, thank you for the replies! Here is the cowl tag pic and the build sheet. Sorry the quality is poor. I had to make them smaller to post. (probably a better way to do this, I am a rookie!!) I can find some of the original color in some spots but it is not real clean or easy to match. Hope that this info helps. Let me know if you can tell anything from this info!! Thanks again for the help.

Attached Files:

5. Kunihiro

Kunihiro Veteran Member

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-camaro-paint-codes-year.asp?year=1971

Paint Codes for 1971 Chevy Camaros

Year Code Exterior Color
    1971 11 Antique White
    1971 13 Nevada Silver
    1971 19 Tuxedo Black
    1971 24 Ascot Blue
    1971 26 Mulsanne Blue
    1971 42 Cottonwood Green
    1971 43 Lime Green
    1971 49 Antique Green
    1971 52 Sunflower Yellow
    1971 53 Placer Gold
    1971 61 Sandalwood
    1971 62 Burnt Orange
    1971 67 Classic Copper
    1971 75 Cranberry Red
    1971 78 Rosewood Metallic

The paint code indicates the exterior paint color. Color codes for vinyl tops and convertible tops can be found in the Trim Tag Decode section. A two-part code indicates the bottom and top colors respectively. Trim tag paint codes will be from one to four letters or numbers, depending on the year of manufacture and the plant in which the body was produced. Some assembly plants had hyphens between the letters and numbers. Starting in mid-1984 GM automobiles have an additional body identification label. Included on this label is a four-digit number (WA) indicating the exterior body color.

6. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

the picture is only a thumbnail size, nearly impossible to read

any chance for a real sized picture?

What I can see shows paint (something) code(?) GG

Is that correct?

email the full sized picture files to [email protected] and I can post them for you

7. high impact

high impact Veteran Member

The build sheet says "paint wheels code GG". Need larger pics of trim tag and build sheet - that hurt my eyes trying to read it! ;-) Black stripes and cottonwood green is my guess without being able to see everything.

8. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

9. 71Z28454

71Z28454 New Member

al8apex,
    Shot the pics to your email as requested. Thanks for the assistance posting full size!! (Sorry Hi Impact!!) Also, I looked at the paint listings that a few of you have posted as well as paint codes/samples from a few years prior to 1971. The closest visual seems to be "Misty Turquoise" from 1970. I see some Chevells painted that color on the internet. http://shevelles.com/1970ChevelleLS5.html. My paint seems to be a bit more Grey than this but pretty close. Let me know what y'all think! Thank you

10. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

GG is a common code for 68 and earlier Chevy cars. It is some version of gold. This car might have been special ordered with gold wheels.