1971 headers

Z28bob

Oct 28, 2020
Denver, NC
Looking for a little information and suggestions, I'm installing a 383 engine in my car and looking for what headers have you used. not wanting to break the bank but do want a quality product, thanks for the help

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
To choose correct fitment, there are two things which various header manufacturers consider in their design...

1. Do you have A/C?
2. Manual or auto transmission?
Power steering matters when it comes to installation but not for the fitment to the rest of the components.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
I have used both the generic 1 5/8" headers, run high 10's with them and I have also used the 1 3/4" Hooker S/C's. Both fit and work well but on the street I opt for the smaller tubes.

Z28bob

Oct 28, 2020
Denver, NC
To choose correct fitment, there are two things which various header manufacturers consider in their design...

1. Do you have A/C?
2. Manual or auto transmission?
Power steering matters when it comes to installation but not for the fitment to the rest of the components.
no I don't have ac and Its a manual

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
what do you mean generic??

If you look around at all the 1 5/8" headers, look closely at all the pictures, all of the tubes by different manufacturers will be the same. The Hooker Comps will look like the Cyclone ones or the Patriot cheap ones will look exactly like the Hooker ones with all the tubes being bent the same way.

jurquhart

71 Z28/RS
Feb 11, 2011
Patriot's on my 71,,, manual trans and no power steering. Stock motor mounts on subframe with Energy Suspension mounts on the block and trans crossmember. Stock body mounts on the car/subframe. No clearance issues at all,, the collectors are tight to the floorpan but no adverse heat transfer to the carpet etc.

Latest posts