1971 LT1 Cylinder heads

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Andrew Cabral, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Andrew Cabral

Andrew Cabral New Member

Intersting. Thanks for sharing. I am having a hard time finding heads with an early date. Not sure why. The heads were also used on Corvettes

2. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

COPO
    Thanks for the info. I believe this block was replaced under the GM warranty back in 1971. This engine was so much untouched that it still had that old nylon timing gear which was still undamaged.

3. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member Gold Member

What I was told when I worked at GM many decades ago was the third digit is always a letter and indicated if it was a long block or short block assembly. A different story I was told while at GM was that the third digit was in Hex, ie, A would mean 1970 if block was cast in 1970 or 1980 and on, B if cast in 1971, 1981 and on, C if cast in 1973, 1983 and so on. That works for years xxx0 (A) through xxx6 (F), the 7th year of the decade would be (1), 8th year 2, 9th year 3. Then it would start over with A in the next decade. Not sure anyone has any real proof of any of the stories out there. Though I haven't seen many CE blocks, all that I have personally seen had a letter as the 3rd digit. I do know for a fact as I seen it done, some dealerships would stamp the block at the end of the CExxxxx train a 2 digit number indicating the year the CE short or long block was installed.

4. Andrew Cabral

Andrew Cabral New Member

Thats good. Mine is the other way around. The block and intake are original all else has been upgraded. New heads, MSD distrubutor and edlebrock carb. All I need to find are heads if you know anyone who may have them

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I’m the 2nd owner of my car and I have a number after CE.

6. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member Gold Member

Is the number 1, 2 or 3? My block is CEA19330 and then 73 in a different font.

7. COPO

Mines CE1.....
    The orig owner said the engine never blew up or was in for engine work under warranty. So I assume it was replaced before it was shipped or delivered.

8. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

I may be giving my age away again but I was young and just back from Vietnam and bought a 70 Nova S.S. and back then guys were beating the crap out of the vehicles before the end of the warranty and GM would jump right in and replace the engines virtually with no questions asked. That’s probably why we see so many CE engines in our cars.

9. COPO

I was told by one Chevy mechanic during the 60’s and early 70’s, when the Dealer wasn’t busy in the Service Dept, they would change parts on cars that didn’t need parts and would put the charge through the warranty program to make money.

10. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

Your CE block is similar to mine . I was under the understanding that the extra letter was the batch / run of blocks for the year . A been the first for the year . Info I collected.
    CEA1 casting date C211 March
    CEB1 casting date I281 Sept
    CEC1 casting date J131 Oct
    CEC1 casting date K151 Nov.
    What I can’t explain is what CE1 is so I know COPO is watching will you post up you casting date to help solve the mystery ?

wnmech likes this.