1971 RSSS

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
I’m surly not saying your isn’t an RS, I’m just saying it’s difficult to prove unless you have a build sheet. Here is my base car tail light and my RS lights. My car is not a true RS...people can swap this stuff over.

Attachments

• 3211D3D8-18EA-477F-BD8F-E8CA2D0CD5B9.jpeg
    3211D3D8-18EA-477F-BD8F-E8CA2D0CD5B9.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 4FAC5284-B08E-4F72-AF38-E42250A1F112.jpeg
    4FAC5284-B08E-4F72-AF38-E42250A1F112.jpeg
    736.3 KB · Views: 35

$71RSSS?

Apr 23, 2022
I’m surly not saying your isn’t an RS, I’m just saying it’s difficult to prove unless you have a build sheet. Here is my base car tail light and my RS lights. My car is not a true RS...people can swap this stuff over.
Yup it happens all the time. I wish the Van Nuys plant put more info on the fire wall tag. I had a 68 RS from Canada. Got the build sheet from GM of Canada. Maybe I still have a build sheet over the gas tank. The pieces I have are missing that information.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
It is easy enough to check the gas tank for a build sheet. All you have to do is put the rear tires up on ramps and creep under the car. Loosen the rear bolts on the two tank straps to lower the tank an inch or two. Then, if you shine a light in the gap between the tank and body you can see if there is a build sheet there.
I was able to remove a build sheet from my tank using this method and never had to remove the tank or lower it completely.

$71RSSS?

Apr 23, 2022
It is easy enough to check the gas tank for a build sheet. All you have to do is put the rear tires up on ramps and creep under the car. Loosen the rear bolts on the two tank straps to lower the tank an inch or two. Then, if you shine a light in the gap between the tank and body you can see if there is a build sheet there.
I was able to remove a build sheet from my tank using this method and never had to remove the tank or lower it completely.
Wow that is great information. Thank you!

zfool

Veteran Member
May 19, 2014
Rochester, MN
Nice find, great car. I had a 71 rs in the early 80’s. Wish I still had it. Def one of my favorites. How the interior and under the hood?

$71RSSS?

Apr 23, 2022
Nice find, great car. I had a 71 rs in the early 80’s. Wish I still had it. Def one of my favorites. How the interior and under the hood?
New seat covers and door panels. Dash pad is in great shape. Carpet a little tired. Headliner is good. Engine bay is good. Needs some TLC. AC doesn't work. Big surprise. Has a rear window defrost. Haven't seen that before. Some gauges not working. Will trouble shoot that as soon as time allows. Gotta sell my other Camaro so I can concentrate on this one. Always really liked the early second gen also. This is my third one. Keeping this one.

Attachments

• IMG_20220326_151949003_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220326_151949003_HDR.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 58

zfool

Veteran Member
May 19, 2014
Rochester, MN
New seat covers and door panels. Dash pad is in great shape. Carpet a little tired. Headliner is good. Engine bay is good. Needs some TLC. AC doesn't work. Big surprise. Has a rear window defrost. Haven't seen that before. Some gauges not working. Will trouble shoot that as soon as time allows. Gotta sell my other Camaro so I can concentrate on this one. Always really liked the early second gen also. This is my third one. Keeping this one.
Nice and relatively unmolested. It’s hard to find them. Everyone wanted to make them hot rods with a intake lol. Enjoy

$71RSSS?

Apr 23, 2022
Nice and relatively unmolested. It’s hard to find them. Everyone wanted to make them hot rods with a intake lol. Enjoy
I agree. Nice to see the original intake. Wiring is a mess though. Will probably get a new harness for the engine compartment. Carb is a later model Carter. Do you know what would have come on this model originally? Quadrajet maybe?

Latest posts