1971 Z27 Camaro SS Restoration Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by zzaz3, Jun 12, 2010.

1. onebad71

onebad71 Veteran Member

making progress... car seems really solid. i wish that was the only rust i had to deal with.. if you decide to get a diffren style steering wheel let me know and ill take that one off your hands.lol jk dont sell it there hard to find man ive been looking for the center section for awhile now. and no dice.. keep it up man good work

2. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

POR15 would be great for the floors. Looks great. Nicer than most before resto.

3. onebad71

onebad71 Veteran Member

i second that on both counts..lol

4. LtRsZ

LtRsZ Veteran Member

good find. no better or easier car to learn to work on. and small block chevy stuff is cheap.

5. marc_b

marc_b Veteran Member

nice looking car to start with

6. Z27LS3

Z27LS3 Veteran Member

once you get to the point where its a driver make sure to replace all rubber brake lines, master cyl and flush the brake fluid. rock auto online sells loaded calipers (and other parts) cheap. looks like you got a Z27 (super sport) for sure. your friend is mistaken on that. I also have a Z27, and many others here as well. do you want to do it a certain way or restore to its original state? that is a good topic you should really decide on right away as right now you can take it whatever direction you want, changing your mind later on would become expensive. nice score, good luck. check out the various areas here for information and the search function can unearth a wealth of information on most topics / issues.

7. zzaz3

zzaz3 New Member

I'm going to try and keep everything original just like it was when it came out of the factory. Maybe later down the road I'll do something fancy, but for now I like to keep things old fashion. It's a little more classy that way.

8. motown 454

motown 454 Veteran Member

Nice car! it looks in great shape. This is the place for good advice.

9. zzaz3

zzaz3 New Member

Alright, It's been awhile, but I have some updates.

I've been taking the car apart piece by piece and I'm trying to get it down to bare metal so then I can treat the rust and maybe paint it.

So far I've taken off a lot. Too much to list. Just see for yourself. I'm about to take the doors off too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I found a lot of rust under the windshield. Not sure what to do about it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice score on the car.Its a keeper.All that rust has to be cut out and replaced.Good time for you to get a small mig welder and start learning.Eastwood just came out with a great mig for 250.00 or 300 dollars.Def worth getting,or saving for.It will pay for itself on the first patch.Their are plenty of people here to help you on this site,myself included.Good luck.