1971 Z28/RS 4-Speed Documented (Repost)

Discussion in 'Camaros for Sale' started by Cooldawg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

I've sold two cars on eBay and it was a Flat Fee ( I want to say $225)

2. Djais1801

Djais1801 Member

i listed my 69 RR on ebay auction style and it was only $76.00 I had a reserve of 33k

3. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Well, my consigner said ebay gets 3% and his commission was 4% for a total of 7%. It didn't meet reserve with that much tacked on... I'm done with ebay. A pretty stressful experience in all, but I think I'm close on value based on the results.

I thought I was going to be involved in a crap ton of business travel, but things on that front look much better now. I'm currently in process of removing the aftermarket AC and the motor is almost ready to come out. The prior owner held onto the heater core and all the original pieces and parts, thankfully. If the bottom end consists of good LT1 type parts as I suspect, I'll have her checked out, freshened up where it makes sense, and she'll get a nice street cam. Maybe even do a five speed conversion in the process...

If it's just an old truck motor or something similar, I'll have a much bigger decision to make. Crate? That'll take some convincing, but I like the car enough to try. The VIN matching motor may shake loose as well. I sent the gentlemen a letter asking that if he ever parts with it, I'd appreciate an opportunity to buy. I'll keep sending one periodically. Maybe he'll reconsider.

I'd like to sell, but I'm ok with keeping her as well.

4. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Doug,

Just a note. Ken has his shop up and running ( mostly, still awaiting permanent power), but he's working out of it. Lift is installed and a lot of his tools are out there. So if your inclined to rebuild it, let me know and we can meet up over there if your interested.

5. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Great to hear from you because that's the first call I was going to make :). Seems like a knowledgeable and honest guy. I've got the space and the equipment to pull it. Friend has an engine stand I can borrow as well. I was going to send him pix once I get the manifold and oil pan pulled.

And the tranny will likely be for sale because it isn't numbers matching anyway. The guy in NC has the matching tranny as well as the motor.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  6. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Sounds good, keep me posted.

7. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Motor is NOT a "CE" code LT1 warranty replacement.

Aftermarket AC is out. There is one small hole (where the condenser drain tube exits the firewall) that will require some restoration work. The original heater core/ ducts/ blower are all accounted for and going back in. Thankfully, no wires cut. Original pigtail is intact. Only part missing is the blower switch, which is available aftermarket.

8. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Waited too long to find a tuning guru or swap out that cam. Number one cylinder is washed out. Caps are not stamped "2482" so they aren't LT1/ nodular iron.

Anyone interested at $35k as a roller? Have the performance YOU want to go along with the paperwork/ history.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  9. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

please remove this posting

10. Peter Wilson

Peter Wilson Veteran Member

I found the original engine for my 71 Z/28 a few years back . It was std bore and never run since it was removed for warranty when the car was new . Long story but there was no damage to the block and the dealer installed a CEA shortblock to salvage the sale of the car to the new owner . the engine sat for years and was never used so I had to have it . I offered to buy the guy a brand new GMPP bare block and just swap blocks or a brand new GMPP short block and swap short blocks he declined the offer but eventually sold me the shortblock for a Fair price . I would have paid just about anything for the engine as my car only accumulated 11,000 miles since new as it was turned into a racecar in 72 and never again street driven . I suggest you up the ante to the holders of the original engine and transmission . make it sound enticing without offering too big a cash offer . offer to buy them a new engine etc . and the guy with the trans ... offer him another trans plus 500 bucks . Just dont offer a big cash offer right off the bat , as it might not be accepted and then that price will only go higher when and if he decides to sell , that engine and trans deserves to be back with that car . Good Luck . now if I could only locate the original M21 for my car to make it complete....