1971 Z28 rs VanNuys built

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Zulu28, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

I just recently looked at what is supposed to be a 1971 Z28 rs, the engine is long gone, it is an RS and it has the TH400 which is correct but it also has a twelve bolt which the owner says it came with?? the leaf springs looked like the right ones, bump stops on control arms looked correct, no sign of the floor mounted gas pedal, two instrument clusters that are correct, horse shoe shifter is gone, my 1971 Z28 that I had years ago had a production date of April 1971 and it had a ten bolt which we know is correct, so where did the twelve bolt come from? being a VanNuys build how would you ever prove a Z28 without the build sheet?

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Only the 1970 SS and Z28 got the 12 bolt (one year only). There's quite a few 70 only features

3. ddc456

ddc456 Veteran Member

I have a 71 Z that I will be selling. Standard bumper car, auto, all original except the motor. All complete and together. PM me if you're interested. Oh factory orange with black strips. Norwood car.

Doug

4. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Van Nuys cars are just too easy to fake. No floor mounted pedal? BIG strike out. Rear is from a 70. This was a common swap in the day when people blew the 10-bolt rears up. 12-Bolt rears were common, cheap and a direct swap-in. There are more Z/28's registered today than GM ever made. There are more fakes than real cars, and the CA cars are easiest by far. No build-sheet, no sale.

5. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

Yes, that's my take on it also, unless I have documented proof of a Z28 from then on in my driveway it's a Camaro which is just as nice in my opinion, the more I look at the builds on this site the more I want to build my own road car.

6. golva55

golva55 New Member

Hello
    I recently purchased a 1970 R Z28, correct engine trans and rearend
    33,500 original miles. Partial build sheet detailing Z28, Van Nuys plant,

I am trying to recreate the balance of the build sheet.
    Is their a source or contact that could help me???

Built first week of February, Yellow, Black Custom Vinyl interior
    Tilt, PS, TH400, 4.10 rear, shoulder belts, am/fm, Fancy mirros
    pretty loaded car for 1970. - NO AC of course.

Help with the build sheet would be great.
    Sold new at Cormier Chev, Carson Ca

thank you
    Steve
    ie golva55

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You are best off just having the partial build sheet. Trying to make up a complete one when you don't have the complete information will just make the sheet look like a fake, and if the sheet looks like a fake, then the car could also be in question.
    If the piece of the sheet you have shows the car to be a Z28, you have all the documentation you need.

8. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

What carries more weight- A build sheet or a P-O-P?
    Bryan

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Both the build sheet and the POP have all the information you need to document the car, so either one is good. The POP might be a bit harder to fake than the build sheet, but either one works.

10. mgd1790

mgd1790 Veteran Member

Found my build sheet for my 71 Van Nuys Z, outside of an engine rebuild a survivor, and knew the 2nd owner who was great friends and long-time coworkers with the person who ordered it. That obviously helps a lot.

My biggest issue is the floor pedal. 70's had a 12-bolt, 71 on had 10-bolts for Z's and everything else (I believe). Had a dude in Chicago claim this and that and said he could "see" the build sheet but it was too roached. Yes, that happens a lot "but" in this day and age most people who take great care in finding an intact build sheet and taking something away from it.

Everything else can be easily faked, restamped or whatever but everything in total, from the look of it, tells the story or should. If it's fishy, you're always safer taking a pass. They made more than one.