1972 ProTouring Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by FMDynamics, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Red70Camaro

Red70Camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I thought I remembered seeing it for sale around here.

Looks like a nice solid car for your project!;)

2. Stroked72SS

Stroked72SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good luck with That budget...

You'll easily put 10k in the bodywork and paint...:eek:

3. marc_b

marc_b Veteran Member

nice looking car to start with. welcome and good luck.

4. FMDynamics

FMDynamics New Member

It's been 6 months since my original post. Between work and my new daughter haven't had much time to work on the car but did get a few things done. The first thing I started on was the trunk. It was pretty solid but had a lot of surface rust, I did a magnet test and the metal was still pretty good. So I ground down the surface rust and through down some POR-15 and splatter paint.

Here is what I started with..I took a wire wheel and grinder to the pan and removed all the original coating and EDP on the sides.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then degreased and metal ready(POR_15 products) and slapped on a coat of silver POR-15.
    [​IMG]

Then added another coat of black POR-15. I like to use the 2 different colors to make sure I haven't missed a spot.
    [​IMG]

Then bought 2 cans of splatter paint and sprayed over the POR-15.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After all this you, have to add a layer or 2 of clear coat. When I had done this originally I did not add the clear and the splatter paint did not stick that well. It started to flake off.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  5. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

very nice work on the trunk, looked at your list lose the 700 and go with a 4l80 from Jakeshoe.

6. FMDynamics

FMDynamics New Member

JD,

Any reason you suggest going with a 4L80 over a 700. I quickly looked over the post by another member on adding a 4L but it looks like more work than a 700.

7. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

I would stay away from the Heidts stuff. There are better options out there DSE and Morrison to name a few. You can gain quite a bit of performance using the stock sub and upgraded control arms, steering box, and sway bars. I have Heidts control arms on my 1st gen and the upper arm bushings fall apart about every 1000 miles:screwup: , so they are going to be replaced with something else.

8. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

I'm not sure the 700 gonna be able to take the abuse from a big block very well.

9. high impact

high impact Veteran Member

I had a properly built 700r4 with Beast hard parts in a 540 hp 454 in my 70 chevelle. It held up fine to some pretty hard thrashing. I'd say it would hold up just fine as long as you have no plans of using real sticky tires. My trans builder said I should never bolt slicks on it...ever.

10. FMDynamics

FMDynamics New Member

The car (if ever done) is not really meant for any type of hard driving. Don't plan on taking it to the track or any type of racing. The purpose is for marketing of my company and a nice weekend driver. I wanted to go with a 700 for the overdrive as I plan on driving it on the from place to place and don't want it screaming on the highway. After doing a lot of research it looked like the 700 would be the easiest and most cost effective for what I want but I am always open to suggestions if there is a better solution.