1972 Rally Sport front suspension rebuild...

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by Buck Heard, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Buck Heard

Buck Heard Veteran Member

I just purchased an unmolested 72 Rally Sport and was looking into refreshing the front end (rubber bushings, arms, etc.) to include new springs front and back. When it comes to authenticity would I need to find a source for all new GM control arms, springs, etc... Or would the aftermarket replacements be undetectable once installed? How important would all GM suspension be to a restored yet plain jane Rally Sport? If orginality is preferred where would be the best place to start looking for all new GM parts?

Thanks to anyone for their help.

2. JOHNNYMO

JOHNNYMO Veteran Member

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to replace the control arms? I'm at that stage in my front end o-haul on my 72 & wondering if I missed something.

3. Major Dad

Major Dad Guest

Control arms should not need to be replace unless they are really rusted or are bent. I sandblasted and painted mine, put in new control arm bushings and that's it.

You should be ok to use your originals.

4. Buck Heard

Buck Heard Veteran Member

Sorry about the confusion. What I meant to say was Tie Rod Ends and Stabilizer Links.

5. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

A good source online for OEM STYLE parts www.rockauto.com for MOOG and other brand names......Eaton Detoit Spring also......

Chuck S