1973 Camaro Restoration/Build- Bein Bad

Dale Farley

Sep 18, 2018
Well, after reading a few of the project posts I have decided to start mine. This is being done to hopefully get my butt in gear to actually head in a certain direction with my car. As I seem to go back and forth with what I want to do. Just reading some other threads has already got my brain going about this project. So here it goes.

Brief history of the Vehicle and Me.

1973 RS Camaro. Bought the car in DeKalb Il from a guy that was in too deep. The car was what motorcyclists would call a basket case. No windows in it. no interior at all. a ton of parts new and used in boxes and bins and laying around, motor apart and a spare block also. Previous owner had started an auto to manual conversion. Super t10 4 speed. That was half finished. All factory wiring had been removed and a painless wiring harness put in it but hacked up badly. Anyway, car was clean for Midwest and the age. good deal on price so I scooped it up and trailered it home. That was February of 2015. Since then I did get the car drive-able as of last summer. Went back to auto 350 trans because my wife said so LOL! I drove the car for a month or so just locally. Kept finding issues as I went. Then decided it needed a Blueprint 383. Bought and installed motor, got it running and enjoyed it till fall. Back in the garage it went. Struggled with what to do next. car is a good 20 footer, but the closer you get you can start to see all of the issues that go along with a 44 year old vehicle. body wise and so forth. So I think I have finally decided to restore it. I am new to this restoring thing. have not done body work in the past. But have always been around vehicles, more on the mechanical side with motors. This I am sure will be a long drawn out process, but its my favorite car. So lets do it! I will add photos tonight.
When you finish it then the process of getting old agin will begin

7/3-SplitRS

Veteran Member
Mar 26, 2014
Pecatonica IL
Made some progress. Then I hit another dead end when it came to the pitman arm removal. Need to pick up the tool to remove it. Have the steering box out of a newer z28 with the better ratio. This will be going on next.
20181103_155822.jpg
20181103_155818.jpg
20181103_155730.jpg
20181103_140453.jpg

7/3-SplitRS

Veteran Member
Mar 26, 2014
Pecatonica IL
Plan is to get this on all 4 wheels very soon, that way I can clean the garage which is in a state of disrepair as seen in pictures lol! Winter is coming quickly..

Nightster1200

Nov 4, 2018
Hello all.
I am brand new to the group.
I grew up driving old birds. 73 formulas to be exact.
My older brother was the split bumper Camaro guy. These are beautiful cars!
My son bought a 78 z28 about 3 years ago and is finally selling it to me for a steal.
Will post pics in a couple of weeks when I take possession of it.
Good luck with your build.
Wish me luck on mine please.

Latest posts