1973 Camaro Type LT RS Z28 Project

deszs

Feb 7, 2007
Byron, GA
McCune, Thanks for the compliment on the floor pans. They don't look as nice as yours though. I just looked at your progress for the first time today and have to say you have one fine car there. My car was incomplete when I bought it, so I'm building mine to look 90% original and plan on driving it every nice day when finished. The guy I bought it from decided to stop re-doing Camaros and threw in alot of extra parts. The picture I'm attaching is of bumper reinforcement braces for 1973 requirements. I noticed in the assembly manual they were used on full bumper cars. Did I miss something, because if they added strength to those cars, they would have added the strength to the rs bumper cars. I was the original owner of a 1973 LT RS car and when I repainted it in 1976(lived in northern Indiana then), I don't remember seeing them.

Attachments

• KIMG0003.JPG
    KIMG0003.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 24

BillyDean7173

Final Six
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
I noticed in the assembly manual they were used on full bumper cars.
That is correct. Those large bumper brackets are for a 73 only standard front end (full bumper) car. They eliminated the inner and outer bumper brackets, as well as the bumper filler panels. If you look further in the 73 assembly manual, you'll see the pages for the RS front end. That front end uses the inner and outer bumper brackets and the bumper filler panels. Since you have an RS front end, you don't need those large bumper brackets.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me why the RS cars didn’t use the same 1 piece bumper bracket. For the center of the car, the full bumper had an additional brace inside it and the RS nose had a lower brace and 4 additional braces/brackets supporting it. But why is the 73 RS the same as 70-72 in the corners and not re-enforced like the standard bumper? Hmmm

deszs

Feb 7, 2007
Byron, GA
Rough-in body work done and re-epoxied. Now to do spot check body work, primer build and block sand.

Attachments

• KIMG0008.JPG
    KIMG0008.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 33
  • KIMG0009.JPG
    KIMG0009.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 33
  • KIMG0015 (1).JPG
    KIMG0015 (1).JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 32
  • KIMG0016.JPG
    KIMG0016.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 33

TAZZ 1

Veteran Member
Jul 15, 2020
Gaston N.C
Great work me and you are at about the same place in our restoration point.

Attachments

• camaro 1.jpg
    camaro 1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 22
  • camaro 2.jpg
    camaro 2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 23
  • camaro 5.jpg
    camaro 5.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 22

Bentley

Veteran Member
Aug 14, 2020
What's the casting date of your heads? Are they the correct 330545 heads?

Are these the heads that the Hot Rod Magazine article ( in the mid 70's) described as " not able to produce enough horsepower to pull a fat girl on a tricycle"?
I had a 73 RS Z28 in 75 and my friends with the 70-72 cars would harass me about that article every time we tipped a beer.....
While I appreciate anyone wanting to put their car back to stock, I can assure you a manual car would be 10 times more fun than an automatic... And in todays world a 5 speed OD ( TKX) would be even better.....
Just thinking out loud here...
DSCF1038.JPG

BillyDean7173

Final Six
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
Are these the heads that the Hot Rod Magazine article ( in the mid 70's) described as " not able to produce enough horsepower to pull a fat girl on a tricycle"?
I had a 73 RS Z28 in 75 and my friends with the 70-72 cars would harass me about that article every time we tipped a beer.....
While I appreciate anyone wanting to put their car back to stock, I can assure you a manual car would be 10 times more fun than an automatic... And in todays world a 5 speed OD ( TKX) would be even better.....
Just thinking out loud here...
Yes, you've told us about the Hot Rod magazine quote and your friends' cars before in another member's 73 LT RS Z28 build thread. See below.

I had a 73 I bought in 75..... 10 hp difference?? I remember Hot Rod magazine claiming the heads off of my 73 did not make enough ( and I quote) " horsepower to pull a fat girl off a tricycle...
Loved the car, did not care that it was NOT an LT1 engine, but I don't remember it anywhere near what my multiple friends 70 cars had for horsepower....
I was in the back seat of my friends 70, on a test drive, and he was trying to figure out a miss it was having at some higher rpms... NEVER have I been more petrified of a car ride in my life...... I think I maybe peed my pants a little.....
NEVER remember my 73 able to duplicate that ride.....

Here's the link to that build thread if you want to re-read all of your comments.

Bentley

Veteran Member
Aug 14, 2020
Yes, you've told us about the Hot Rod magazine quote and your friends' cars before in another member's 73 LT RS Z28 build thread. See below.

Here's the link to that build thread if you want to re-read all of your comments.

Well forgive me, I am old and forgetful...
Billie Dean, are you a Texas Native?

Latest posts