1973 Camaro Z-28 RS with Console delete.

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by EasyZ, Sep 20, 2020.

1. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

"11,574 (6107 w/Manual Trans, 5467 w/Auto Trans" AC cars got the M20 4 speed.

bodymanbill, badazz81z28 and dinograz like this.
  2. EasyZ

EasyZ New Member

Actually only 5467 Z-28 automatics were produced. Not 7000...

Attached Files:

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

The console 'delete' would be real handy to have a girlfriend sit close, and not break anything, especially with the auto trans.

4. Dicky

Dicky Member

I worked at a Chevrolet dealer in '71-'75 and bought a four spd (no console) Z28 in '73. There was a strike or something in Norwood and F body's were late in getting to us (I ordered in Feb and it showed up in July) I tell you that because an RS Z28 came in before mine with an Column Auto & I had the opportunity to accept it. Didn't because I wanted the 4spd. So that was at least ONE other than your's. Never saw any other column shift Z's.

5. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

I always thought all Z-28's were standard with gauges, but I guess starting in1973 It was an option even with the Z-28. I have 1973 Camaro sales literature and it says Instrumentation (Standard with LT). I think when they brought back the Z-28 in 1977 1/2 it was standard with the Z-28.

6. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

There's been a few 70-73 Z28s pop up on this site with the column shift. Rare? I think so. But does that means it's desirable? That's a matter of opinion, just like whether rarity translates into higher value. It's the same thing with paint. Just because a color is rare, that doesn't mean it's more desirable or valuable. It probably means the majority of buyers back in the day just didn't like it.

Regarding Z28s and the U14 option (guages), I can say that my 73Z originally had idiot lights. I fixed that. :D

7. EasyZ

EasyZ New Member

The original owner of the Z was a woman from Rochester NY, she bought it new. She ordered it with the Column shift. But to be honest, I think that’s why it survived with out being beaten to death or cut up, she treated this Z like it was her baby.

8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

So many different stories on these cars. I could easily see that someone wanting a Z28 for the sportiness but if they were coming from a more “conventional” car wanting an automatic and even the column shift as that was what they were use to using. By 1973 the performance was on the decline and the graphics and appearance of performance was selling.

9. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

If you look at GM literature in perspective there are thematic actions on the side of GM;
    I believe there are many parallels between Firebirds and Camaros with standard versus optional equipment;
    My understanding is that Pontiac dealers received a memo early in the 1970 model year explaining that if an automatic transmission was opted without an optional console, that the shifter would be placed on the column;
    I would think that Chevrolet dealers would have received a similar memo, to avoid any confusion, or disgruntled customers.

I also believe that members nailed it when attempting to clarify equipment that was simply not opted for, versus equipment which has been deleted;
    I can think of very few true "delete" options for the second gen f-body - even the most common one referred to as "radio delete" was simply a block off that was installed on cars which did not have any optional radio installed at the factory... so that also was not a true "delete" option, but rather the absence of an option.
    I have understood that across the board during the 1973 model year, that the absence of a "cost option" console guaranteed that the shifter would have been on the column;
    I would suspect that after 1971 dealers would have been well versed with this, and either ordered a car for stock without a console to get a low price point car or clarified with the purchaser that if the console was not ordered, that the shifter would be on the column.

I do believe that after the 1975 model year, any Firebird Formula or Firebird Trans Am with an optional automatic transmission received a centre console as a part of the automatic transmission option;
    I would think that if Pontiac was choosing to do this with their upper level F-bodies (they had four models), that Chevrolet would be doing something similar at around the same time.

10. joseph lamb

joseph lamb Member

well hello and there is a 1973 Z28 in Seffner Florida that is L82 and Turbo 400 and 3.73 8.5 and console delete , stripes delete , spoiler delete , and no console and column shift . Second owner just bought this car last year from his neighbor who special ordered the car NEW!!813-389-9198 Joe , also car is all original and paint is original !!!! cool ride .