1973 Camaro Z28 on BAT Engine Stamp

ronzz572

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 8, 2007
imperial pa
Having looked back at the car's vin, this does not appear to be the original trans for this car. Or, all the other #'s are wrong and this is the only original part. Or is the vin stamped somewhere else on the trans? What say, the experts?
The vin is stamped on the drivers side middle above the transmission pan. It's difficult to see.

clm69z28

Veteran Member
Oct 29, 2011
encinitas ca
Good number for what was obviously a non-number matching car, although it was in very nice shape. No original paperwork and the vin stamp was pretty pathetic. But, by and large, BAT bidders really don't seem to care. The comments seem to be pretty superficial and, if you ask any real questions, then you'll probably get shot down. I'm sure some people are contacting the seller directly, but for the most part it's just off the photos, as far as I can tell. Can't say I'd buy a car like that. Well, only once...

70 SS/L78

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 5, 2005
Rockford, MN
The VIN on trans is stamped into casting, not on the aluminum tag. Like Ron mentioned, it's very difficult to see. You really need a mirror to see it. It's stamped right above the flange for trans pan but the VIN stamp on trans should match the stamp on the engine block.

The build suffix stamp on the engine pad is extremely odd, especially from engine assembly plant. Can't say I've ever seen one like that before. Without a better picture it's really hard to say if the engine pad has been messed with? To me the V0612C is gang stamped (maybe the L too) and that part looks good but the K definitely added after the fact, though the K character looks good. It does appear to have original broach marks. No doubt it's a RED flag and can't say one way or the other for sure without a better picture or seeing in person.

The warranty booklet is typed at the dealer so mistakes can easily be made... Appears to be a pretty nice car overall

bodymanbill

Veteran Member
Feb 1, 2007
South Park Pa
The VIN on trans is stamped into casting, not on the aluminum tag. Like Ron mentioned, it's very difficult to see. You really need a mirror to see it. It's stamped right above the flange for trans pan but the VIN stamp on trans should match the stamp on the engine block.

The build suffix stamp on the engine pad is extremely odd, especially from engine assembly plant. Can't say I've ever seen one like that before. Without a better picture it's really hard to say if the engine pad has been messed with? To me the V0612C is gang stamped (maybe the L too) and that part looks good but the K definitely added after the fact, though the K character looks good. It does appear to have original broach marks. No doubt it's a RED flag and can't say one way or the other for sure without a better picture or seeing in person.

The warranty booklet is typed at the dealer so mistakes can easily be made... Appears to be a pretty nice car overall

bodymanbill

Veteran Member
Feb 1, 2007
South Park Pa
D7541ECE-99ED-46A0-A178-A74073537B68.png
Here’s a pic of my stamping on my original 400 trans on my 73

carnino73

Veteran Member
Apr 2, 2005
Hoquiam WA
[QUOTE="BillyDean7173

The trim tag had screws starting in 73 sometime in March IIRC. The car is 06C which would be the 3rd week of June 1973, so the screws would be correct.

My car has a 04A trim tag and it is riveted

Latest posts