1973 front turn signal bulb replacement

Manofsteele

Aug 22, 2002
South Carolina
I need to replace my front driver side turn signal bulb. Does the bulb come out the front or do I have to take it out from the back. What steps do I need to take. All replies very appreciated.

bones57

Veteran Member
Jul 13, 2002
B.C.
If it’s front signal then you remove the lens to change the bulb, if it’s the side one it comes from the back side.

Manofsteele

Aug 22, 2002
South Carolina
bones57 thanks for getting back to me on this. It is the front turn signal bulb. When you say lens that is what you take off the front to get to the bulb, correct. So, once you do that does the bulb twist to the left and them pull out? If that is the case that is what I am trying to do but the blub will not turn it may be rusted in there because it has been years since it was last changed.

Thanks

rocket dawg

Veteran Member
May 5, 2015
Grand Rapids Mi
If you see 2 philips head screws on the front of the lens, then remove them. Bulb will turn about 1/3 of a turn to remove. Dont see any screws, the bulbs more than likely come out from behind with the connector.

bones57

Veteran Member
Jul 13, 2002
B.C.
bones57 thanks for getting back to me on this. It is the front turn signal bulb. When you say lens that is what you take off the front to get to the bulb, correct. So, once you do that does the bulb twist to the left and them pull out? If that is the case that is what I am trying to do but the blub will not turn it may be rusted in there because it has been years since it was last changed.

Thanks
That is the correct way to do it. Push the bulb in and twist.

Manofsteele

Aug 22, 2002
South Carolina
Thanks, bones57 that is what I am trying to do but like I said it has been in there forever and must be some rust or something that is keeping it from turning. I'll keep working it and hopefully it will break loose just didn't want the bulb to break in my hand.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
GM usually put some grease in the socket before inserting the bulb. The grease keeps water from getting in there and causing problems. If it has original grease in there, it will be dried up and hard so the bulb doesn't come out as easily as it should.

bodymanbill

Veteran Member
Feb 1, 2007
South Park Pa
If it’s corroded in there ,once you twist it to hard usually the glass part will break off and leave the base in the socket, than you have to use some needle nose pliers and bend it out of there. It’s happened to me a bunch of times.

Manofsteele

Aug 22, 2002
South Carolina
Thanks for all the feedback you were a big help, and I did finally get it out without breaking it. When I replace it, I'm going to put new grease inside the cylinder so hopefully this will not happen again.