1973 RS LT Z28 4spd Matching Nums

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by secondgenaddict, Jan 5, 2013.

1. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Mine will be over restored and over budget big time. I hate cars. LOL

2. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

My goal in restoring a car is for it to mistaken as an EXTREMELY well kept/one repaint survivor.
    No it does not have enamel top coat in the final coats I mix clear and color to create a lacquer appearance and yes it is WAY smoother/lacks the waviness that the originals exhibit, as I stated my goal is to have it be assumed as a ONE repaint survivor.

The original chrome parts were not buffed to perfection or finished to the Nth degree.
    I specifically told the plater I did not want the edges buffed and polished so they were no longer sharp.
    There is some NOS chrome on the car and I did not want a MISMATCH in chrome quality, but mainly I cannot stand plastic looking cookie cutter restorations.

I will walk by restored Rare high performance cars to look at an unrestored 1922 Oldsmobile or nearly anything which is original.

73rsltz and dinograz like this.
  3. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gosh, yeah. I spent a ton on mine the first, second, and third time. I am just pulling original parts out to send for refurbishment.

4. FlaJunkie

I agree with you about original cars. My problem is I drove the piss out of my Z28 in the early seventies and everything went to crap. I did a frame off but didn't do the bumpers or aluminum, I simply put aftermarket parts on to get it running.

I am curious about the chrome comparison. And now I am worried I will get my bumpers back with something that looks awful compared to the original.

I am intrigued about the enamel mix. I always thought the base/clear was way too bright compared to the enamel. How do you do it?

5. secondgenaddict

It is way to glossy after you add catalyst - looks like plastic to me.
    - Add 15% flattener to the catalyzed clear coat to take away the plastic look of the clear. Though with a non-metallic car I would shoot it in single stage Chroma Premier (I am currently restoring a 69 L78 Pace Car and it will be in Chroma Premier single stage.)
    Most bumpers I see are buffed to the nth degree and when you buff metal you catch the edges on the wheel - removing the sharp edge, making it appear to me "soft".

:eek: I never said anything about being UNDER budget... do you someone under budget on their project, I must find this elusive person.

6. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

I know James. I was speaking for myself.

7. FlaJunkie

Single-stage? One coat? Two? Buff it? How does one do SSCP?

8. secondgenaddict

With single stage I would still put 15% flattener in the final 2 coats so when cut and polished it looks "correct"
    Though if you cut and polish it you almost completely negate the flattener.

SSCP is just a catalyzed single stage... NOT the SAME but similar to the old Centari.

9. 73rsltz

73rsltz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I gave a reasoning then a remark was made. So that’s where it came from. Car probably won’t be judged anyway. At least not at a camaro function. Maybe MCACN show or the AACA. Too many know it all’s in the Camaro and Corvette worlds. FWTW I don’t know anything. People like That Mcnish McFlurry guy or what ever is name is have ruined the camaro shows

10. FlaJunkie

"How about because I ****ing want that way. Is that a valid answer. Until you pay for it. I don’t give a poo on your opinion"

Nice guy. Love the response. Makes me feel all warm and cozy.