1973 Z28 Build

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by ADV1, Apr 2, 2009.

1. ADV1

ADV1 Veteran Member

ok, so it's been a while... I took a weekend off for hunting and then I worked last weekend! :(

I'm planning on working on her tomorrow night and again all day on Saturday! YES!!!

My NX Nitrous kit came... Gemini Twin, my other parts showed up as well so I've got quite a bit to keep me busy... I'll post pics as I get them!

2. ADV1

ADV1 Veteran Member

A few updates...

Spent quite a bit of time in the shop today...

1.) Mounted my NX bottle in the trunk and routed the Nitrous line to the carb.

2.) Installed this nifty little WOT switch...
    [​IMG]

3.) Drilled my holes and mounted my AN lines in the valve covers. This will be acting as a breather only for now but will be used for a future vacuum pump.
    [​IMG]

4.) Mounted valve covers and ran lines
    [​IMG]

5.) Installed carb linkage... This took longer than expected! Why do the simple things have to be so difficult sometimes! :mad:

6.) Installed my new plugs, I've always fought tightening about 3 of these because they are angle plugs and my headers are always in the way so I decided to make me my own socket that I could slip a wrench on. I shot it with some paint so that it'll be easy to spot when I need it again.
    [​IMG]

7.) Installed my Nitrous plate and silonoids.... and buttoned things up for the night...
    [​IMG]

All that's left is to wire up my ignition, run a dedicated fuel system for the NX, get me a Taurus fan and install. Oh, and I need to find a High torque mini-starter and install...

I'll be doing family stuff tomorrow and next weekend is out so It'll be 2 weeks before I get back to it again.

3. Eliminator SS

Eliminator SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice progress man! Lotta stuff going on in that engine compartment. I like to keep mine simple. My Eclipse drives me nuts all the crap in there.

4. V8TEC

V8TEC Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Black ziptie master, second only to Freiburger
    Looks good! [​IMG]

Great idea on the spark plug socket!

5. ADV1

ADV1 Veteran Member

I should mention that I'm planning on new radiator hoses... that old pile of fail is just to get me by...

6. ADV1

ADV1 Veteran Member

Lordy do I need to get back to working on my baby! Ugh...

The economy hit my industry like a ton of bricks last year and took all of my funds away! She's been sitting like this since MAY!!! If only I had about $1k and 2-3 weekends I could be all running again! I have time starting to come in Jan/Feb but the funds are still lacking!

***Sigh*** I'll figure it out somehow!

7. ADV1

ADV1 Veteran Member

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

OK, Here's some Details & Pics...

I spent last sunday thrashing with one of my best friends to get this thing going. Money has been tight but I had enough to get her to run. I'll worry about the more exotic stuff later!

Josh got to my place at 8:30am and we jumped right into things... Made a list of what I needed to finish off the wiring and hit up Napa & O'reilly. I spent the day knocking out all of the little poo that needed done.
    Oil Breather Canister & lines
    mounting radiator, fan & shroud
    priming the engine
    setting distributor & plug wires
    securing all the fuel lines & double checking my fittings
    drilling holes in the firewall and running wires for Josh

Josh spent his time doing all the rest of the electrical... this took some time to sort out as he wired up:
    2 fuel pumps
    bottle warmer
    bottle opener
    Nitrous
    Fuel pump switches & Nitrous switches (Off an F-18 btw! :) )
    And set me up so that when I get my new ignition box & electric fan that I'll be all set and easy to plug in.

Got most of it done by 8:00pm Sunday night. My kids where going to bed and we knew that it was now or never. So I tossed in some fuel and she fired on the first pop (See Video). This was all I was after... I just wanted to hear her... I figured I'll time it all and adjust it in later. Oh, and don't worry about cam break in on this video. I'm running a Hydraulic Roller set up so I was safe. Like I said, I just wanted to make sure we had everything right and wanted to hear it.

Spent the rest of the night till 11:00 finishing what all I listed above and called it quits.

Now I need to go back and clean up that rats nest of wires, tuck em away, clean up my ciruit board, plug wires etc... basically clean her up before I start tuning.

The plan is to get it running very close to where I want it and then I'm going to schedule some time at The Shop (A local garage) to bring her down and tune her in right on their Mustang Chassis Dyno!

Anywho... Here's some pics and a vid...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ignore my stereo wiring that's hanging out all over... I just wanted to show my switches...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said... the wiring looks a bit tough right now but once I clean everything up she'll look a lot better.

~Fin