1973 Z28 Restoration "Lilith"

Jerry73Z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2017
Greeley, CO
A little bit of an update for Saturday's progress.
Kind of a lazy day, still waiting on parts for the leaf springs, so didn't try to take her off the rotisserie yet.
Did get all bushings and ball joints reinstalled into all 4 control arms. Felt pretty good. Those were some of the first parts I cleaned up when we started a couple years ago.
Took both of us and all 4 hands. I don't want to imagine what doing that job alone would be like.

realrsz

Nov 16, 2011
Macomb, MI
Love your story, Jerry. The history that you have with your Camaro and the fact that your father is part of it makes this project "priceless". I just finished up my restoration project last month after a 10 year build. I too was only able to work on it on Saturdays and a few days here and there but my crew and I pushed extra hard in the last three years to complete it. All I can say, buddy is, it's worth the wait.
73 Camaro-3 7-9-11.JPG
DSCN5069.JPG

Jerry73Z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2017
Greeley, CO
Love your story, Jerry. The history that you have with your Camaro and the fact that your father is part of it makes this project "priceless". I just finished up my restoration project last month after a 10 year build. I too was only able to work on it on Saturdays and a few days here and there but my crew and I pushed extra hard in the last three years to complete it. All I can say, buddy is, it's worth the wait.

Those photos are awesome! Great job on the restore, glad to see one done. Very cool how the car is in the same place and even the angle is right. Look how the trees in the background have grown!
Thank you for the inspiration!

8pack

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 29, 2007
Western, MA
Wai
Love your story, Jerry. The history that you have with your Camaro and the fact that your father is part of it makes this project "priceless". I just finished up my restoration project last month after a 10 year build. I too was only able to work on it on Saturdays and a few days here and there but my crew and I pushed extra hard in the last three years to complete it. All I can say, buddy is, it's worth the wait. View attachment 124109 View attachment 124110

Wait….what…where did the flames go?!

Jerry73Z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2017
Greeley, CO
Started attaching stuff to the subframe Saturday. I was still waiting on parts for the leaf springs, so left the car on the rotisserie. The parts came in Saturday evening. Go figure.
Loading the subframe at home to take it out to Dad's shop was a small adventure in itself. I had put on both upper control arms, and the lower control arm and spindle on the left. I managed, but I'm thinking I need to get an engine hoist for my garage. I'll put it on the list.

We put the springs in while the subframe was still in the back of the pickup and upside-down. That was something that's been bugging me for weeks. I've lost sleep over the thought of installing the springs. So glad it's done, and no blood shed!
upload_2021-8-10_8-0-20.jpeg

New rotors, bearings, and seals.

upload_2021-8-10_8-2-41.jpeg

And just for fun:

upload_2021-8-10_8-3-32.jpeg

Doesn't roll very well. I'll have to work on getting the steering gear in there to help hold the wheels straight.
I'm very happy with this progress made in one day.

Jerry73Z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2017
Greeley, CO
Does anyone have any advice, or know what the "proper" color for the steering parts and sway bars should be?
As you can see above, the subframe, both control arms, and springs are satin black. The spindles are Eastwood "Spray Gray". The rotor shields are painted with Eastwood Silver CAD. Right or wrong, it is what it is!
But going forward, I wouldn't mind painting components in their "proper" color. But like the spindles, if the proper color is bare metal, it's going to get a coat of something - even if it's clear. I don't want anything turning orange again!

BillyDean7173

Final Six
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
Does anyone have any advice, or know what the "proper" color for the steering parts and sway bars should be?
As you can see above, the subframe, both control arms, and springs are satin black. The spindles are Eastwood "Spray Gray". The rotor shields are painted with Eastwood Silver CAD. Right or wrong, it is what it is!
But going forward, I wouldn't mind painting components in their "proper" color. But like the spindles, if the proper color is bare metal, it's going to get a coat of something - even if it's clear. I don't want anything turning orange again!
I found this link once upon a time. I had to search my own posts to find it again.
https://nastyz28.com/faq/suspen.htm

8pack

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 29, 2007
Western, MA
A lot of that stuff was bare metal. You may want to consider coating it with fluid film which will keep the rust away, even in the rain, and re coating it once a year is super easy.

If you paint it, you will get chips and rust will find it’s way fit sure. This stuff doesn’t chip, it’s basically a lanolin oil product. Not sticky and doesn’t attract too much dirt once you let it dry. You can always wipe off any dirt and reapply.

A cool option is it comes in Black! It gives your bare metal that blackened steel look.

It’s a great product.