1973 Z28 Restoration "Lilith"

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Jerry73Z28, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Veteran Member

Spent this Saturday working on the steering column. Of all the parts that were mistreated while it sat outside, in pieces on a trailer for 10+ years, the steering column is probably the major piece that should have at least been inside the cabin. We knew we were going to have to disassemble the first section, because the locking pin was frozen in the lock position. Dad has been inside many a steering column, and he really didn't want to take apart the tilt section.
    Every time we took out a little more, we'd find another bearing farther down that was full of dirt. By the time we were done, the entire steering column from the steering wheel to the gear box was taken apart. Spent the whole day cleaning parts and re-greasing bearings. Blasted rust off of everything and primed/painted everything visible. We'll be re-assembling everything next week.
    Sorry, didn't take any pictures of the work we did.

In other news, there is one major part I've been having a hard time finding and a harder time getting my hands on - the correct finned valve covers for the Z28. My originals did not survive. They spent most of the storage full of water and had corroded most of the way through in places, and the baffles weren't much better off. I found new ones on Classic, but they've been backordered for about a year. I've had them on my wish list, but haven't actually placed the order. Well, Dad surprised me with a box when we stopped working on the steering column for our first beer (Guinness) break:

20211023_150455.jpg

BillyDean7173, mrfleet12 and 8pack like this.
  2. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

I went with an NOS polished set of finned valve covers, too on my 73Z. I liked having a little extra bling on the motor and they complimented my chrome air cleaner lid.

3. Jerry73Z28

Finished cleaning up all the parts and got the steering column back together - key turns nicely, tilt works, and steering is smooth. Also cleaned up and painted the clutch and brake pedals and the support bracket. Have the firewall insulation pad and steering column firewall seal on order, and they should be here next week. Next weekend, steering column and pedals go in.

20211030_141441.jpg

I went to Classic Industries last night to order some small stuff, pedal pads, turn signal lever, and the like, and found a 25% off on orders over $250 special going on. Thought it would be a good time to throw in the dash pad. Saved $80 on it.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to make a decision on a wiring harness very soon. I have read a lot of threads here praising both Painless and American Autowire harnesses. It seems like the "proper' way to go for "stock" is the Factory Fit line from AAW. And yet Painless offers a 70-73 specific harness that seems much simpler (to order anyway) and contains all the proper circuits for $850. AAW's Factory Fit harnesses have to be ordered a section at a time, and if I'm right about the sections I need, the price will be well over $1k. I sent AAW an email asking for help, and listed the features of my Camaro (350, MT, no A/C, etc) and asked for help with what sections I need. The guy just sent me the entire list. So honestly a little annoyed with them.

Spent a few hours tonight cleaning up the transmission. Scraping 40-50 year old crusted dirt, oil, and grease.
    Knowing you have the original transmission is one thing - but still feels great to find your matching VIN number stamped into it.

20211031_193406.jpg

Starting to think the engine and transmission might be going in soon. Another huge milestone. Can't wait!

mrfleet12, 70lt1z28 and McCune like this.
  4. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

I did AAW, Classic Update. Painless documentation is better than AAW, but it's available online - it helped me figure things out that I couldn't with the AAW documentation. I think you can't go wrong either way, so if Painless is easier to order and cheaper, then I'd do that.

5. Jerry73Z28

I got the "your order has shipped" email from Classic Industries on Tuesday. Ever since (and still), the UPS tracking information shows nothing beyond "Label Created".:

upload_2021-11-5_12-50-50.png

I sent an email to Classic yesterday, asking, "Did my order ship or not?"

I used my work address as my shipping address. I don't much like the thought of my boxes sitting on the porch at home. Usually not an issue. I keep up on the tracking and know when I need to let receiving know I have something personal coming.

Well, one of the receiving guys brought this down to my office about an hour ago.
    Message_1636134629473.jpg

I love surprise gifts!
    20211105_124443.jpg

Also included, pedal pads for brake, clutch, and parking brake, pedal bushings for brake and clutch, a new turn signal lever, and hazard knob.

Then the boss had to come by and see what I got. He's following my project pretty closely and often asks how well it's going. He's got a few projects of his own.

Is it Saturday yet??

6. Jerry73Z28

My gut tells me that AAW Factory Fit is the "right" way to go. I think I'll do that, and just order a section at a time. Dash harness first. I looked through the Painless documentation, and like you, I'll definitely make use of it.