1973 Z28 Restoration "Lilith"

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Jerry73Z28, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Member

Today, we worked on patching a couple places that looked to have some pretty serious rust.
    I don't know the proper name for the area, but I think of it as part of the frame of the body. The piece starts under the back seats, arcs up over the rear axle and goes all the way to the rear. The rusted part can be seen here:
    [​IMG]

There is 3 layers of metal in that area. I cut through the outer layer and found the 2nd layer is a bit pitted, but when cleaned up is still in pretty good shape, and solid.
    [​IMG]

Dad scared up some sheet steel and made up a patch in a couple hours, then welded it in. I think he did a great job - it would have taken me a week, and wouldn't have fit nearly as well.
    [​IMG]

peteegger and hubedobeedo like this.
  2. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

that is the rear sub frame rail , looking good nice patch

3. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

great story

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  4. Zoomin

Zoomin Veteran Member

I can see a lot of progress in the last 8 months, especially for going after one or two days a week. Keep after it!

5. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Same here!

I can kinda relate since I bought my Camaro from my dad when I was 17 and he had bought it new in 1971. I remember sitting in the passenger seat as a little kid hearing the turbo mufflers and cool it sounded.

Then after I bought it we'd spend time in the garage working on it... definitely some good memories there. He's passed away now for the last 8 years, but I'm glad we got in the quality father-son time.

So as was mentioned before, definitely get in as much time as you can with your dad while you have the opportunity to do the things you both enjoy.

6. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

That slot is a factory tie down point there is a similar slot on the outboard side of the front subframe rails just behind the bumper bracket attachment bolts.

7. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

It's really easy to feel overwhelmed. I basically back-halfed mine, despite never having done anything close to that substantial before. I can remember days where I was like: What the heck am I doing?! Don't get discouraged. Your work so far looks great! At the least, I suggest digging into the patch panel areas - you won't get a reliable estimate otherwise.

Also, I'd prime the exposed fresh air box (and the underside of the cowl panel) before installing the cowl panel - it's hard to get in there with it installed. I taped off where my plug welds would go, epoxy primed, pulled off the tape, then weld-thru primed the tape lines.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

peteegger likes this.
  8. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Veteran Member Gold Member

[​IMG]
    Like the Ford tractor in the back ground, My Grandfathers 1949 9-N was the first vehicle that I drove by myself, got my tractor driving license when I was 14. It was used mainly for hay and straw racking

9. bondora68

bondora68 Veteran Member

Great thread! I love Camaros with family history.. Keep on going. Time will pass and progress will be made. Don't forget to enjoy the journey.

10. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Member

Wow, that is a crazy amount of work! I'm trying hard to moderate my desire for everything to be PERFECT with my budget and time constraints, and doing the best I can for her.
    I have primed the fresh air box, and used an inner frame coating (can't recall the exact name of the stuff) to at least put some protection down past the vents on each side and into the channel that runs under the door. I haven't primed the underside of the cowl panel yet, but plan to. I did the same thing with the tape and weld-thru primer.

Thank you all for all of the words of encouragement!

thesalboy likes this.