1973 Z28 Restoration "Lilith"

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Jerry73Z28, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Member

It's amazing how many of my Dad's "toys" sneak into my pictures and get comments! Love it!

2. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Member

Did some painting on the interior the last few weeks, got the package tray, the panel behind the rear seat, the right side floorboards and the inner firewall coated.
    Yeah, I know it's not the right color, and not the right kind of paint, either.
    [​IMG]

Yesterday, was too cold to work outside, or even in the garage, so we played with the engine a bit (unlike the rest of the garage, the engine room is heated). It has been a while since we did anything with the engine. It's been well over a year since I had the block, heads, and crankshaft cleaned up and machined. All are original. We got a new camshaft on order from Summit Racing and started on installing the pistons. We put the crankshaft in on another very cold day last winter.
    Installing pistons is one (of many) parts of the build I've been really looking forward to and also quite apprehensive about. My dad is an old hand at this, but other than when I took it apart, I've never worked this deep in an engine before.

[​IMG]

ISN'T THAT BEAUTIFUL?
    I have the whole week between Christmas and New Years off of work - I think I'll spend it working on the engine! The camshaft should be delivered before Christmas and I think we should have all the rest of the parts on hand already.

hubedobeedo and berg2695 like this.
  3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you don’t plan on firing up the engine soon after rebuilding it, I would not install the cam as the break-in grease would probably eventually slide off and be useless. Just my .02.