1973 Z28 Restoration "Lilith"

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Jerry73Z28, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Veteran Member

It's amazing how many of my Dad's "toys" sneak into my pictures and get comments! Love it!

2. Jerry73Z28

Did some painting on the interior the last few weeks, got the package tray, the panel behind the rear seat, the right side floorboards and the inner firewall coated.
    Yeah, I know it's not the right color, and not the right kind of paint, either.
    [​IMG]

Yesterday, was too cold to work outside, or even in the garage, so we played with the engine a bit (unlike the rest of the garage, the engine room is heated). It has been a while since we did anything with the engine. It's been well over a year since I had the block, heads, and crankshaft cleaned up and machined. All are original. We got a new camshaft on order from Summit Racing and started on installing the pistons. We put the crankshaft in on another very cold day last winter.
    Installing pistons is one (of many) parts of the build I've been really looking forward to and also quite apprehensive about. My dad is an old hand at this, but other than when I took it apart, I've never worked this deep in an engine before.

[​IMG]

ISN'T THAT BEAUTIFUL?
    I have the whole week between Christmas and New Years off of work - I think I'll spend it working on the engine! The camshaft should be delivered before Christmas and I think we should have all the rest of the parts on hand already.

hubedobeedo and berg2695 like this.
  3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you don’t plan on firing up the engine soon after rebuilding it, I would not install the cam as the break-in grease would probably eventually slide off and be useless. Just my .02.

4. Jerry73Z28

Time for my 6 month update. lol
    For better or worse, the engine is assembled and painted Chevy engine orange.
    Worked on several odds-and-ends while the weather was cold. Sandblasted and painted various brackets and other parts. Rebuilt and painted the starter. Cleaned up and painted the rear end, inspected the gears, and replaced the axle bearings and seals. Put together the rear drum brakes with new parking brake cables. Working on cleaning up and painting the leaf springs and the subframe.
    [​IMG]

And the big news. A co-worker recommended a body guy to me. Called him up and 2 weeks ago, took the main section of the body to him to install the patch panels and get a coat of primer on it. Got pictures from him last night. He expects to be done next week. I had already removed the cowl, but decided to let the pro put on the new one. He's done that, and done patch panels for the quarter panels, both fore and aft of the wheel wells.

Before:
    [​IMG]

And After:
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to get her back next week. I'll be putting a coat of primer/paint on the underside, then start working to get the subframe and rear end back on and FINALLY be off the rotisserie.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  5. asphaltburner

asphaltburner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looking really good, Jerry!
    Navy,...moved to a "sub base"? We gotta talk! I was a sonar tech on CGN-36,...
    Best of luck! I'm readying the Fiat Spider for paint right now,...

6. Jerry73Z28

Camaro is back from the body shop and in her spot in Dad's garage. Patch panels all installed, rust-free and fully primed. I can't get over the fact that I can't see through the lower quarter panels anymore. In fact, I can't see through the trunk anymore. He added a coat of POR to the trunk as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body man also primed the underside in gray, which was a bonus to me, since it wasn't originally part of the deal. I painted over the primer on Saturday.

[​IMG]

We had taken apart the rear leaf springs to clean them up. One set is done and painted, but I've been having trouble finding new binding straps and silencer pads. I threw up a "HELP!" post in the suspension forum and got some help. Placed the order today and hope to get the springs all put back together soon.
    Meanwhile, I've been working on cleaning up the subframe during the week in my own garage. Recently got coats of paint on that, too.

[​IMG]

New subframe bushings and mounting hardware are on order and should arrive this week.
    I'm really hoping to have the body off of the rotisserie very soon, with the rear end, subframe, and front suspension, spindles, and rotors installed.
    Get 4 tires back on the car, and I'll consider that a MAJOR milestone in the restoration!

Then I just have to figure out what I'm doing with the rotisserie.

mrfleet12, BillyDean7173 and berg2695 like this.
  7. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Nice! Yeah, that first time back on 4 wheels is so very satisfying...

8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

My car was almost done when I finally got tires and wheels on it. It WAS a great feeling to see it on the ground, on it's own feet.
    You are doing this car right. Another Camaro saved!
    Your comment about Dad's "toys" in the background is funny. I instantly noticed the Military Jeep type tires next to your car right after I read it.

9. Jerry73Z28

dcozzi - funny that you noticed the tires, and commented on them. Made me go back through my entire thread looking for Dad's Jeeps in my pics. They are probably his favorite toys, but NOT ONE of them has gotten into my pictures. Currently, the Camaro shares the garage with 3 Jeeps from the late 40s and early 50s. They must not like their pictures taken.

Here's me driving his '53:
    upload_2021-7-28_16-28-22.jpeg

My Dad and his '48 on the right:

upload_2021-7-28_16-38-18.jpeg

Also, as a side effect, going back through my thread has made me realize just how far we've come on the Camaro. Amazing!

upload_2021-7-28_16-23-35.jpeg to upload_2021-7-28_16-24-40.jpeg

upload_2021-7-28_16-26-12.jpeg to upload_2021-7-28_16-27-3.jpeg

mrfleet12 likes this.
  10. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

It's a great feeling to get that body shell repaired and coated, then roll it out into the sun to admire. Awesome!

1978 Z/28 likes this.