1974 Camaro Front Grille Emblem Installation Problem

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 1974TypeLT, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

long ago I d buy used std non Z28 74 Silver grills with the unique center emblem mount , clean em up repair the fins and paint em black and add painted out line in silver and sell to make a little money on eBay. By now even most of those have disappeared . The Z28 version originals were molded in black unpainted plastic , and are difficult to find in any condition today. I could not venture to guess what a NOS 74 Z28 grill might be valued at today .

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  2. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

The fact that my ‘74 has the later grill before I bought it in ‘84 makes me think the ‘74 only grill was already in short supply nearly 40 years ago.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Uhh…”our manufacturer says it should fit 74-77”. CI won’t have anything to say…

4. younda

younda Veteran Member

Top image is the correct grille and the lower image is a non 74 grille with broken vertical sections to allow attaching the emblem.
    The lower grille was sent to me by someone selling it as an original 74 grille and later claimed he didn't know this was done.
    Paypal took care of me and the guy didn't want to pay for return shipping so I still have it.
    My point is breaking the vertical parts on the grill results in a grille that looks close to original except the emblem is a little bit too high. I'm sure with a little precision you could do this so it looks better.
    What I don't see as a problem is breaking the tabs on the emblem, and leaving the 75-77 grille unbroken, and using construction adhesive to attach the emblem at the proper location.

grille.gif

72BIGBLOCK likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I can see why a repop company wouldn’t make a 74 specific. Looks easy to mod to make it work. It’s acceptable on sheetmetal, why not plastic?

6. Z28PILOT

My grill got nailed good during an outdoor basketball game in 77-78 , I was a bit shocked at the price at the dealer charged for the plain black plastic grill I believe it was around 35 bucks , lot of money for a kid back then. Lol, now I wish I d bought 10 of them…lol. Not sure why I didn’t go to a junk yard, or maybe I called and no Z28 grills down there at that time.
    I think we forget how many Camaro were built and wrecked back then , the junk yards had lots and parts used were just a few dollars for most items…it wasn’t vintage or nothing like now .

7. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Using an adhesive is an interesting idea however, there's such little surface on that grille to stick the up and down style emblem to, I'd be concerned that the first appreciable bump one drives over would drop the emblem off. Has anyone on here tried that with success on their '74?

8. Z28PILOT

One issue I see with this lower modified job , is it’s on crooked , and it might be difficult to keep it aligned true without the originals fixed mounting holes . Looks like to me , the thin material plastic would crumble if the nuts were tightened to the point road vibration would not loosen the heavy emblem. IMO there needs to be more material behind the emblem to call it good and not have to be fiddling with it or it working loose.

9. younda

younda Veteran Member

Yes it’s cockeyed in the photo but I had taken it off to show the grille and didn’t attach it securely or straight. It actually held straight and tight with only the original nuts. It looked good except fir the elevation against the grille.