1974 Rochester 2bbl Carburetor Replacement

1974TypeLT

Veteran Member
Mar 19, 1999
NW, FL USA
My original carb has been rebuilt mult X's and I am looking at replacing it. Are these $100 online import carbs OK and is one brand any better than the other or should I spend $400 for a new Rochester replacement? Thanks!

1974TypeLT

Veteran Member
Mar 19, 1999
NW, FL USA
After almost 50 yrs and mult rebuilds, its best days are behind it. The debate is whether to replace it with a Rochester-like clone for $100 vs $400 for the real deal.

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
The clone is probably good enough with your jets and rods put in it. No real tech. in a 2 barrel carb.

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
Just my 2 cents, but if I needed a new carb I'd take the opportunity to "upgrade" to a 4bbl.
But then you'd need a new intake, and while that's off a new set of performance heads, then might as well change that peanut camshaft to a roller, add good set of headers, then swap out that airplane ratio rear end gear. I get a little glassy eyed just thinking about it.

1974TypeLT

Veteran Member
Mar 19, 1999
NW, FL USA
Thanks for the replies. I am just trying to keep it simple and somewhat stock, plus not break the bank. There are dozens of Rochester 2bbl clones out there, ranging from $75-125 ea, so do don't if I should go by price and lower vs upper.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
But then you'd need a new intake, and while that's off a new set of performance heads, then might as well change that peanut camshaft to a roller, add good set of headers, then swap out that airplane ratio rear end gear. I get a little glassy eyed just thinking about it.
Agreed on the intake of course, but it's a very simple swap. (and an air cleaner of course)

Latest posts