1974 Rochester 2bbl Carburetor Replacement

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
OP

If,... IF you have a 2G series carb as in late seventies & earlier it's worth repairing/keeping.

Your local/regional Circle Track is likely to have at least one class of V8s with restricted-class rules that mandate a 2 bbl carb. Typically Holley 4412 or Rochester 2G series. Lotsa guys like to run Rochester 2G; they're good carbs. And there's likely a carb guy (or two) around there who is their go-to for repairs, tweaks etc. Some of em even have a flow bench. ... with or without a bench, there's your guy.

It'll pay you to walk your local CT tracks' PITS and ask around for who does Rochester 2 bbl. Probably learn lots more along the way.

FWIW, that Holley 4412 is also a very good 2 bbl option.

Patstuff28

Veteran Member
Aug 23, 2020
One other option if your 2bbl is beyond rebuilding is to buy another similar one and have it rebuilt. Take your original one off and take it with you to a swap meet or wrecking yard and match it up to a suitable replacement. There is very little demand for these carbs. You could probably pick up a rebuildable one for less than $20.

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
Are you sure you can still buy a NEW OEM Rochester 2 bbl? I was looking for a new Quadrajet (not Chinesium) and the closest thing was the Edelbrock version, and they quit making them too.

AFAIK, the one sticking issue (yes, it was intended) would be the throttle shaft bushings, and someone like Sandlapper mentioned, should be able to replace them.

BigBlock73

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 10, 2002
Accord,New York
I've found with buying Chinese carbs. for ATV ,mowers, chain saws that there isn't any difference in them .
Buy the cheapest one from Amazon with free returns and give it a try

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
I've found with buying Chinese carbs. for ATV ,mowers, chain saws that there isn't any difference in them .
Buy the cheapest one from Amazon with free returns and give it a try
I’ve done the same for weed eaters,blowers, and a chainsaw. they were certainly good enough for those tools. For my baby, my car, I have to think twice about it

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
Yes, new Rochesters on eBay for $400+
Thanks. While I can’t prove it, I think those are Chineseium carbs. Lars dissected one of those China Quadra jets in a post on the C3 section of the Corvette Forum. He was not impressed. He was able to get it running correctly but he had to do a lot of work and replace a few parts. He said the China knock off was a compilation of various iterations of the Quadra jet.

Last edited:

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
Within last year, I bought a NOS NIB Edelbrock Qjet. They're still out there, but in private hands (where I got mine). And IIRC I paid right at $400. Very nice piece and wish the Edelbrock Qjet was still in production.

Latest posts