1974 Starter Interlock System

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Edmond, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Edmond

Edmond Veteran Member

Can some one please explain when GM stopped building the system in the cars?
    Some say it was in mid-year production.
    My car had the relay connection bolted on the inner fender, but there is no relay. My Camaro was build in the third week of july 1974. If the system was ended in mid year production, then why still put in the relay connector?
    I don't want it to get working, but I would like to get it giving me a signal to put the seatbelts on if that's possible.
    Thanks for any info on this.

Cya,
    Edmond

2. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can't explain why this feature was added, then discontinued shortly thereafter. Probably because it added more parts and was far more than the newer "Nader Laws" required- i.e. economics.

If you want to set it up just as a warning when the seatbelt is not connected- look at the wiring diagrams from later cars to see how to re-do yours.

3. Steve's 74

Steve's 74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 74 was Norwood built the second week of June and it HAS all the seatbelt interlock parts.

I guess when GM realized that even someone with no automotive knowledge could just reach under the seat and disconnect the little black harness, that it wasn't going to meet any government safety standards. Probably figured they needed to tool up something "better".

...and I do have feelings across my chest, so I don't really need a light to tell me I forgot to put my seatbelt on. LOL

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  4. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

"something better"? The original '74 system disabled the start circuit if the driver seatbelt wasn't attached- i.e. you couldn't start the car. Yours sounds like the newer/later version which is pretty what all seatbelts have been since- a light and a warning buzzer.

5. Jet

Jet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Once I replaced the key switch in the column, that pretty much took care of the ol' interlock system :D

6. Steve's 74

I have the one where you can't start the car, but all you have to do is disconnect it under the seat. The module with the little button that is mounted under the hood on the fender well is a one-time over-ride. It's there in case the interlock system fails. You turn the key to the start position, get out and press the button, then get back in and start the car. I still have that all connected.

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

What really happened was our "wonderful" government decided they needed to protects us from ourselves in 1974. Within a few months of the release of the seatbelt interlock mess, people around the country began screaming to their elected officials and it became plain that the general population wasn't going to stand for this. Once enough officials found out that this crap could end their careers, the interlock disappeared very fast and quietly.
    Too bad the people in the US don't do that today and get rid of the many stupid things that are happening to the new cars and all other facets of their lives.

8. spoonLT1355

spoonLT1355 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Is this system worth anything???
    I have one sitting in my basement. Not sure if it is complete or not, will have to look.
    The only thing is, I BELIEVE it came out of a 75, I have never torn apart a 74.

9. Edmond

Edmond Veteran Member

It's not that I need a light and a buzzer to tell me to put it on, but I just want it to work again. Not the Interlock system, but just the warning for the seatbelt and for leaving the key in the ignition.

Acording to this:Standard No. 208
    the rule was affective untill October 31, 1974.
    That would mean early build 1975 cars would have the same system still in their cars?? .... but I couldn't find any documentation on this.

To spoonLT1355: If you do decide to sell, please contact me,
    I would love to have the old system complete again. If the price is right of course :)

Cya,
    Edmond
    :bowtie:

10. Steve's 74

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve's 74
    ...and I do have feelings across my chest, so I don't really need a light to tell me I forgot to put my seatbelt on. LOL

It's not that I need a light and a buzzer to tell me to put it on, but I just want it to work again. Not the Interlock system, but just the warning for the seatbelt and for leaving the key in the ignition.

I know, I was just being sarcastic. Especially considering even with the lights, buzzers, wistles and even the lady telling me "the keys are in the ignition", I've still done it LOL.