1974 Z28 Front Spoiler Braces

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by 74_Camaro, Nov 11, 2019.

1. 74_Camaro

74_Camaro Veteran Member

Hello! I've been investigating putting on a Z28 front spoiler on my car and came across a curious question- Did 74's have front braces installed for the spoiler?

You can see what I'm talking about below -
    Here is what I believe to be a survivor 1974 Z28 front valance and spoiler.
    1974 Z28 Front Spoiler Braces.jpg

Now here is a pair of NOS braces which the seller states go to a 74-77 car with the front spoiler.

1974 Z28 Front Spoiler Braces NOS.jpg

I've searched my pictures of survivor 1974 Z's and can't seem to find a single car that has these braces in place. Granted I know this is a very common part to hit curbs and be replaced, so maybe they were forgotten when the spoiler was replaced?

Or, maybe they were only used for a short amount of time. Maybe early 74's only? Only used on 77's?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Pictures of survivor cars would be ideal. Thanks!

2. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

The brace photo in your post is from a 74 Z28. Below in the link is a post about it. Board member Jonesy sent me a reply about the braces on his low mile 74 Z28 and it is in the link below. You may want to send him a private message to inquire about the braces on his 74 Z28. The braces were used on 74 Z28’s, but I am not sure of when they were available for them when production was started in August or September 1973.

http://nastyz28.com/threads/74-front-spoiler-braces-information.306533/#post-3507027

http://nastyz28.com/conversations/74-z28-front-spoiler-ends-installation-bolts-nuts.177206/

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  3. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

One more thing I have to check for in my bins of oddball spare parts. :bowtie:

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

Yes they did indeed come with braces. The picture of the NOS ones above is exactly how mine look. I would be surprised if all werent like that.
    Most got taken off as the front lower valance was probably an easy target for getting crunched when you pull up to a curb to park.
    There is an NOS pair of braces on ebay now. I have never seen a set for sale before.

5. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

I purchased a pair of the braces from a guy named James (Moementum) who used to be on this board a long time ago for about $15.00. He was selling second gen Camaro parts down in Houston, TX, but he went out of business. Over the years, I have never seen any of the braces on Ebay until this year.

6. 74_Camaro

74_Camaro Veteran Member

Thank you all for the information! Yes, the picture of the NOS brackets is from the eBay ad. They're cool but not $130 cool. Maybe if someone has a survivor '74 Z/28 and they need the brackets it's worth the price, but not for my car.

I received additional information in a private message confirming that in various GM Parts Manuals these brackets are listed for all big bumper cars with the front spoiler (74-77).

Thank you for the links! I had saved the picture from that post a long time ago for reference about the bolts, I didn't even notice the bracket until later.

7. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

Those are it. I picked up some nos about 3-4 years ago with used bolts from a guy. I’ll try to find the bolts and screws to get you a picture. After I moved $#!+’s everywhere but where I would expect to find it.

8. RMTZ28

RMTZ28 Veteran Member

Learned something new. Looks like they can be easily made from flat stock from a hardware store. Question... Is there such a thing as a center bumper filler for these cars. A judge at a car show brought it up to his partner some time back.

9. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

As far as center bumper filler, do you mean the lower center spoiler that goes in between the two outside spoiler sections? If so, I think there is a plastic bolt on piece from GM that was made to put on non original spoiler cars to complete the spoiler. On the z/28 with spoilers it was molded into the fiberglass?? front lower valance.

IMG_7660.jpg IMG_1628.jpg IMG_1830.jpg IMG_3615.jpg IMG_7660.jpg IMG_1628.jpg IMG_1830.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    zfool, 74_Camaro and 74Z28GC3 like this.
  10. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

Heres a pic of my original spoiler end braces with original hardware. The bolts have the anchor emblem on them with a captured washer.

IMG_7663.jpg IMG_7669.jpg IMG_7672.jpg

zfool, 74_Camaro and 74Z28GC3 like this.