1976 Camaro-No crank, no start, no head lights dimming and full accessory power

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by staxnkeys, Sep 21, 2021.

1. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

I agree with Bandit on connections. grounds grounds grounds is my thing... I'd get your linkage right before messing with anything else. That's where it starts and go from there.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Trying to keep up with this. You said in post #7 that you jumpered the neutral safety switch and you've replace the ignition switch. Have you verified that you have power going to the starter solenoid when you turn the ignition switch to start? You said the collar on the steering column rotates when you move the gear shifter. Put in park, turn and hold the ignition switch at start, and with you left hand work the collar back and forth. Hopefully it's something simple, these issues often are, but it's sounding like you've pinched a wire somewhere. Good luck, we can work this out. Much smarter guys than I am should chime in.

MChamp likes this.
  3. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

agree somewhat CorkeyE, I still say linkage first then anything wiring, mainly because I despise wiring :whine:

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

I would go back and look at the last thing that was changed before the problem started. Disconnect the brown wire to the send unit and see what happens?

Poor grounds can cause all sorts of funky issues. Checking the grounds only takes a min. at minimum ground from the battery to the alternator bracket (i prefer to ground the battery to the engine block) and a ground strap from the block to the firewall

My Z28 also had a ground strap from the factory that goes from the rear of the subframe to the body of the car.

5. DarylD

DarylD Veteran Member

If you're not a Chevy purist, get a conversion kit to add a Ford starter solenoid. I mounted mine at the top of the passenger side fender well near the top. This will bypass the Chevy starter solenoid. There is a disc inside the Chevy starter solenoid that becomes useless after many repeated starts over the years. An added benefit is being able to crank the engine over without having to crawl under the car to attach a remote starter button. https://maliburacing.com/remote-starter-solenoid-installation/

1320feet and MChamp like this.
  6. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

...or get an AC Delco solenoid from a motorhome application.

7. Brett Liukkonen

Brett Liukkonen New Member

I agree, check the last variable that was changed (the brown wire). I always start with the simple things and that's almost always what it ends up being, something simple that was over looked. Have you disconnected your battery terminals and cleaned the terminal and the battery cable connector well? I have seen a film build up on the terminal that would let power through when not under a load (as in the starter circuit) but most other things would work fine. Until the connections were cleaned, then everything was fine. But don't forget to double check the simple stuff first.

8. staxnkeys

staxnkeys New Member

So ended up being the purple starter solenoid wire got melted just outside the tube on the passenger side of the engine. Couldn't see it until I disconnected it from the solenoid and pulled it up behind the distributor to check the length of the cable. Spliced in a new fuseable link with high temp wire wrap and good to go-though the ignition switch was probably going as well as a few terminals were corroded.

Thanks for everyone's help!

MChamp likes this.