1977 Z28 Original

Discussion in '1977 Z28' started by MY1977Z28, Jul 25, 2019.

1. MY1977Z28

MY1977Z28 New Member

I apologize if this is a duplicate, as I am unsure how and where to post on the site.
    I recently purchased an all original 65,000 mile 77 Z28 that has been in storage since 1991. The drivetrain is numbers matching, and the paint and interior are original. I have the original build sheet in great shape.The interior is perfect with all the pieces intact and no dash rust. Trunk has original spacesaver and inflator. Frame rails have no rust and the floorpans under the carpet look perfect. The paint and stripes appear original but have much patina, but no rust. My thoughts are to keep this car as original as possible and would appreciate input from members. The motor and transmission are number matching but not in the car currently. Previous owner pulled them to build race car in 1991, but never got past pulling the motor. Since it is out, I have degreased the motor and ordered all new parts such as waterpump, carb gasket, plugs, cam/lifters, gasket set and timing chain set. I am also replacing the heater core and all hoses and belts. I have already replaced the sagging rear springs and complete brake system. Gas tank was removed and flushed and rubber line replaced. My questions is should I freshen the engine compartment (wheelwells, master cylinder, )etc while motor is out, or leave it with surface rust? Am I better off leaving paint and underhood as is except replacement parts, or should I do a full resto including underhood and paint, or some sort of combination. All thoughts and input are appreciated. 20190713_202946[1].jpg

brooksman9 and zfool like this.
  2. Z28SSRS

Z28SSRS Veteran Member

If it were me I would freshen the underhood, not fully restore, but just clean up a bit. I would leave the exterior paint alone except for a coat of wax.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your already going to uncork the engine so if you do that then you'd may as well clean/paint the engine bay. You'll have a nice clean blue engine and a worn out looking engine bay. If it was me, I'd leave the LM1 engine alone and reinstall it without ripping it apart.

Yup, my 1st brand new car I ordered is the same color. Ordered a 4-spd with a/c, tilt etc. I wish I had kept it.

IMG_2378.jpg IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    zfool likes this.
  4. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

I would detail and inspect. I wouldn’t blow anything apart that didn’t need it.

5. M Patrick

M Patrick New Member

It is only original once, clean up the engine bay and enjoy. Great car!

zfool likes this.
  6. chuck13

chuck13 New Member

Looks like a very nice car!Give us some more pics please!