1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Unfortunately I think it is trial and error. If it were me and I was in your position having done what I have gone through I would buy the 3/4" spacer and install the springs with the spacer. In theory 3/4" spacers add 1.5 " of ride height.

The other option is install the springs, see how far you are off and then buy a spacer to add the height you want. I also would use the indexed spacer in the spring pocket rather than on top of the spring. Link to spacer explanation below.

Let me know how it turns out and what you end up doing.

http://www.globalwest.net/1106.html

2. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Thanks for the info! Mine should be right about the same, but I think my rear tires may be taller? 2500 RPM is still a steep number for cruising a big block with DP carb, but certainly better than with a 4 speed! Happy Thanksgiving!

3. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Veteran Member

Thanks 8pack.
    So theoretically my Custom Works 3/8"-1/2" spacer (thats how they list it) should bump height close to 5/8"-1" if I am understanding correctly.
    It does sit on top... :-/
    We'll see how it works out.
    Cheers

4. 8pack

I believe the spacer is a 1/4" spacer and raises the car 1/2". I don't think he sells a 1/2" spacer only a 1/4". I tried 1/4" spacers up top totaling 1/2" and they did not fit. The spring did not sit deep enough to grab the fingers with the spacer on top.

5. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

8pack,
    A few questions:
    1) Did you hook up the Back Up lights through the TKO600? If so, where did you tap into the harness (I know its a light green wire, just don't have the circuit number in front of me.)
    2) Did you hook up the Neutral safety switch through the TKO600? Again, if so, where did you tap into the line (I think I have this one figured out with the purple and purple/white wires, just want to see how others may have done it.)
    3) What did you use for a shift boot? I was going to use my old boot for "looks", but it won't fit over the shifter (round boot/rectangular shifter). I'm looking at this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/huu-1147494

Thanks for the help. Have a great weekend.

6. 8pack

All the answers you need in the link below! No neutral safety switch necessary and reverse lights use existing wiring and just connect to the pigtail on the tranny...

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285201

I used the stock shift boot. Doesn't bother me with the flat shifter in the stock boot.......looks fine.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  7. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Thanks for the response.

Either I have disconnected the original B/U lights or I just don't know where the switch is located. You say its mounted to the steering column? Whereabouts? Any pics? My car has been gone through a little already, so its not 100% stock. Stuff has been cut, moved, or eliminated (by either me or someone else over 20 years ago).

I get you on the NSS. I just thought it would be cool to have both active and it would be kind of a theft deterrent.

Edit: I found the BU light switch. On top of steering column under dash. Have to do some rewiring now that I already ran one wire from the TKO to ground (as the directions said). No biggie. Going through zip ties like a mad man.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  8. 8pack

I will take some under the dash pics.

If you want theft deterrent wire a kill switch into the ground on the coil. I am going to probably do that. Google it, the instructions are pretty simple. Interrupt the ground to the coil and no start.....

9. 8pack

I can't get up under there for pictures. Here is the wiring schematic. In the upper left hand corner you will see junction 24 which is a green wire. That goes back to the tail lights.

In the second picture you will see the pink wire that runs from the fuse box at circuit 39 back to the junction in the first picture. When you study the pictures you will see how the images connect.

The green and pink wire connect to the pig tail on the transmission. I don't believe it matters which way they connect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Right on. Thanks for the help man.