1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I took on a little side project for winter wheels for my other car. I bought a second set and had read a lot about plasti dip. I have to say from the way they have come out so far, I highly recommend it for a set of wheels you want to protect or want to change the color on without paying for powder coat or a rough set of wheels you want to get an easily removable finish on. I have only done the backside so far but they came out great.

I figure while they are off the car I can do the whole wheel and protect it from salt etc. If not then it just cost me a few bucks.

Here is the process so far:

If you are going to do the wheels front and back you need 3 cans per wheel which is about $25/wheel. I am doing a metallic finish on the front so I am a base dark grey on the entire wheel and the Anthracite on the face. I have 10 cans of the base grey and 3 cans of the metallic.

Dip you car sells a handle/trigger and a hi volume spray tip. I found neither worked very well for the back sides of the wheels. The high volume tip just laid down too much product in a more uncontrolled way. Probably great for large areas, but for wheels, stick with the stock spray tip.

For wheel prep first wash the wheels thoroughly and let them dry completely overnight. Any water at all is your enemy. Between the tire and the edge of the rim take a paper towel or rag with mineral spirits on it and clean out that area well and especially the tire as that is where the tape will stick. If not cleaned with mineral spirits it wont stick. Next wipe down the wheel with rubbing alcohol to get rid of any left over grease, the mineral spirits or your finger prints. Two passes are recommended.

You need to mask off the tire. You want to get blue painters tape and rip it into 3 inch strips. Gently slide the tape down between the wheel and tire and press to stick. Do that all the way around. I then took some paper towels or newspaper and covered up the rest of the tire.

Go online and look at the videos of people dipping their wheels, it will help. First coat is very light, just enough to get some product down, the second coat I tried to get 80% coverage. All subsequent coats were wet coats meaning I laid down just enough product for it to be smooth and wet, you will know it when you see it. I did 3 of those coats. Between coats you want it to flash off until it looks satin instead of shiny. It doesn't have to get all the way there, just 90%. 15-30 mins depending on temp.

I finished the backs today and I am really impressed and pleased. It looks like paint and dried nice and smooth. This is just the base coat prior to the metalic which I won't be doing on the backside.

First round of pics below:

Wheel taped

[​IMG]

After second Coat

[​IMG]

Finished product

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 8pack

Here are the fronts. I have to say they came out just amazing. They look powder coated. I am not exaggerating. I believe the trick is to do them off the car so the dip can lay flat on the flat surfaces. The videos on the internet say otherwise, but I found after the second light coat that kaying on a good wet coat yielded the best result. It avoided heavy orange peel or that dry dusty coarse outcome.

I had bought a couple of can of the clear gloss just in case. They looked awesome flat, but I just wasn't fully diging it. looked a little TOO trendy. I decided to do one wheel with the gloss coat and if I din't like it I could always put the anthracite back over it and make it flat again.

I put a very light mist coat and let it dry just a few minutes, then I put one solid wet coat. It same out semi gloss which is absolutely perfect. A second coat would have been ful gloss for sure.

They look way better in real life! I read I should let them dry a couple of days before I mount them so the rubber can harden up. When mounted will get the before and after pic. Next I am doing the chrome around the windows black satin. The biggest part of that job is taping everything off....

Last tip, loosely stuff some small pieces of paper towel in the lug holes, not too tight so you cand gently pull them out. Remove them when the last coat has flashed off.

Also, online you see these guys using just a particle mask, the fumes are STRONG. If you do it inside a garage, you need to use a respirator. It is just too strong. I suggest it even if you do it and the garage door is open...

Taped off

[​IMG]

First mist coat

[​IMG]

Full coverage in the base grey. If you are looking for something not quite black, this color is great. Semi floss would look super.

[​IMG]

Not the greates shot but top wheel is anthracite and bottom wheel is the base gray for comparison. The anthracite is just a little metallic.

[​IMG]

Final Product!

Hard to tell from the pic it is semi gloss. I think the first pic is before I put the gloss on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Excellent. I wish that stuff was out in 1978 when I ordered my 78 Z28 and drove it in the winter to save the rims.

[​IMG]

4. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Turned out nice

5. 8pack

Here is a pic in full daylight FWIW. You can see how it is just barely glossy and closer to satin.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  6. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Haven't heard from you in awhile, so suppose all is well. Had a question. I went to install the factory shifter tunnel (the plastic piece), and it hits the shifter and the oversized Mr G shifter boot. Did you have to trim the bottom of yours to get it to fit?

7. Jeffsz28

Jeffsz28 Member

Come back! Please!!! I've been patiently waiting for you to get around to fixing your AC. How did you wire the AC compressor?

8. 8pack

LOL! I did not get an email notification you posted. Been very busy with my newish job. My Daily driver has required a series of PITA repairs which I think I may have finally solved the problem. One of those where you take the parts on and off 5x trying to get at the source.

New car has taken up some time trying to get it protected so I can drive it all year round....paint is so nice
    I can't bring myself to drive it in the winter until I finish my paint protection efforts. Put all that time into the wheels and barely drove it!

I am also relocating and selling my house so all other free time has been prepping the house for sale.

I haven't been on here in a long time.....I still need to finish my center console and repair the blower wiring through the firewall and then it is pretty much done except wheels and tires....

Post your wiring questions and I will see if I can figure out what we did! Been awhile now but I should be able to trace the wires back....

9. 8pack

Summer! Got the car out of the barn to get on the road. Bummer on that front, it is running terribly and I think it is a fuel/carb problem....if you can help the cross post is below:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304171

I got some work done insulating the exhaust to get the cabin cooler. Insulating the back end of the header and the front of the pipe connecting to the header along with putting some fiberglass adhesive reflective pad under the floor.

Some pics below:

Here is the matting stuck to the flooring:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the exhaust wrapped with fiberglass mat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 8pack