1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Click cross post above. I think I sorted it out! Need help with an off idle bog now as well as getting a consistent steady idle.

2. 8pack

Did some stuff after work tonight for an hour. The Temp sender to the dash was connected with an alligator clip.....cleaned that up and put a proper connection on, seems to read more accurately now.

The exhaust insulation has made a big difference, most notably with transmission temperature. The shifter level used to get very hot, it is definitely cooler now but still very warm.

Trying to find some time to get the console rebuilt. Took the current one out and test fit the one to be recovered. I am moving and packed up my dremel tool and of course don't remember what box it is in and I need it to trim everything to fit to get it ready for the upholstery guy.

3. 8pack

Finally got my Carb situation sorted. I have a post in the engine topic on it. Holley sent me a new carb and there is a huge improvement. Can't believe the difference.

I put a new temp sensor in based on my research here. IT is reading 40* higher than it should on my stock gauge. I am running an Autometer gauge as well and I checked it with a laser thermometer and it is dead on. Really would like to sort that out and get the correct temp sender for the dash. I have one in the head as well and that reads very low. Not sure on the temp differential, didn't check that yet.

I have to recommend an amazing product. I used Dr. Colorchip to fix up a bunch of chips on my car. incredible results. I still have a few spots to do so I will take before and after pics of those.

Finally figured out how to get the AC Solenoid hooked up so the idle kick up works when the AC goes on. I will post pics later but some zip ties, a wedge and 3M double sided adhesive and I am good to go! I now have fully functioning AC! It runs nice and cold but I want to wrap the header pipe that goes past the AC box to try and insulate it from the heat.

Getting there. Now I need to get that console done. Would like to do the rear package tray but I think that will have to wait until I move.

Any suggestions on what to cover the center console with?

4. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

I had a problem with a Holley carb one time where it would whistle as you went down the road. I took it out of the box new, come to find out there was a crack in the main body.

5. 8pack

Drove around for 2 hrs today. Idle was rock solid at 750-800. First time in 20 years it has run well. Way more fun.

My macgyver install of the AC Idle solenoid seems to be working well. Need to get to pictures on it. It worked perfectly, I am very happy to have AC now if I want to use it.

The cabin still gets pretty warm, I need to look at some more insulation and see what I can do to get the temp down.

6. 8pack

I know people sometimes use fake carbon fiber vinyl that looks pretty close to real. I found this real carbon fiber with adhesive backing online for my gauge holder for my center console. 6" x 12" for $13. Seems like a pretty good deal. Ordered 2 thicknesses. Interested to see how it works.

When it comes in will post pictures.

https://www.acpsales.com/OnlineStore.php?cat=4966

7. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

I'm interested to see as well. May be a something I can use for my dash bezel or on another car.

8. 8pack

9. 8pack

Went out for a good long cruise tonight. Got stuck in standing traffic for about 40 mins. The car temp never got over 205, Idled at 750. I am 100% convinced the clutch fan set up and stock shroud with an aluminum radiator is more cost effective, easier to install and more reliable than an electric fan set up. The Lincoln set up I had installed was just not effective at cooling and it is supposed to have some of the highest CFM available.

Got some aluminum stock today and cut my gauge cluster holder from some maple plywood. Looking to mount it in the center console and get the console to the upholstery guy on Tuesday.

Pics to follow...

10. 8pack

I am packing up my house and barn to move. I have pretty much an entire spare car in parts in boxes, but not always the part I want!

Well yesterday I was repacking boxes and I found a hood release for a '78! No more reaching under the nose and trying to lift the hood at the same time. Best find ever!!!

I guess it easy now to see how to open the hood. The old handle version required you to know where to look to open the hood.

Got it installed last night. Sweet salvation, no more bending over!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good bye Contortionist handle!!

[​IMG]