1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Detrailers

Detrailers Veteran Member

I love the hood release that you did. My 79 has the contortionist (lmao) release and I always thought that was a 79 and up thing...my brothers 78 came with the one you installed, it seems to be a tough part to find. I hope you dont mind but I copied your pic so I can post it in the wanted section.

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here's what you are looking for......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Detrailers

Detrailers Veteran Member

Yep thats it...I posted in the swap meet section, hopefully someone else has one.. like you said, a great find!

4. 8pack

Cross posted in ENGINE section.....

I don't have enough experience to know what I am feeling. At cruise every couple of minutes I get what feels like a hiccup or a miss. the car just has a very short hesitation and then all is good again.

How do I know if it is fuel or ignition or something else? I am running an MSD distributor, 6AL ignition box and MSD coil.

• The MSD box is about 15 years old and has about 11k miles on it.
    • Coil is new and Distributor is about 10 years old.
    • Fuel pump is a new Carter.
    • Carb is new with less than 200 miles on it. Squared the transfer slots, adjusted for max vacuum, 35 squirter, 70 jets up front 78 on the secondaries
    • Blue accelerator pump cam

Thanks in advance for any insights!

5. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Awesome progress! I take it your replacement wiring harnesses have met your expectations?

6. 8pack

Moving to our new (old) house in PA on September 1. The garage is not in the best of shape in terms of the floor. It is a cinderblock building so plenty sturdy.

I have cross posted in the garage section looking for some help and Ideas. When I get to the house I will post pictures of the floor. Packing and moving this week so getting ready for the movers and moving trucks....

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3502993#post3502993

7. 8pack

Been awhile! I am finally moved in to the new place but not unpacked. Garage is barely sufficient compared to what I had before, but that is a 1st world problem, really nothing to complain about.

Car is going to be moved to an indoor storage lot for the winter so my wife can park her car in the garage for the first time EVER (25 years). My cars have always had priority or we have not had a garage for her to use.

Once my car is out I am going to take on some very basic floor patching in the garage so I can get my Kwiklift level and safely raise and lower it. Too complicated to explain, but the jack gets hung up on the uneven floor when raising the lift so the lift slips off the jack. Didn't happen with the car on it thank goodness. Leveling the floor in that area should fix it.

I have been super frustrated with the running my Holley. To be fair most of the time it is running great, but as the weather has gotten cooler I need to keep messing with the choke and a couple of weeks ago it backfired through the carb with the choke most of the way closed which slammed it shut and I had to tap it pretty hard to free the butterfly up. The backfire just wedged the butterfly closed. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start until I took the air cleaner off. Also, I am not sure if it is fully properly set up and I just don't have the experience or know anyone in the area who does. SO I am going to pull the trigger and get a Fitech and use the RobbMC Power Surge Fuel canister/pump so I don't need to replace my tank or my mechanical fuel pump. Need to find someone who welds stainless around here to put the bung in my exhaust for the 02 Sensor.

I cross posted below with some specific Fitech questions if you want to take a look...

Will have some garage and other pics when I get actually working on it again.

Thanks!
    http://nastyz28.com/forum/threads/just-pulled-trigger-on-fitech.301850/page-25

8. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Id wait for some new stuff to come out next year. These systems are developing fast, holley has a set up under 1g now also.

9. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Fuel injection is technology and we all know technology is constantly progressing. There's always something better coming 3-4 months down the road and something even better 3-4 months after that. If you keep waiting for something better to come, you'll never get anything. I learned that the hard way working in IT. I've waited and waited because the next hot CPU was coming out next month, the next generation of motherboards next quarter, and if I can just hang on for 6 more months I can get the new generation of graphics cards. Problem is that cycle keeps repeating forever while you're forcing yourself to live with old and inadequate technology. It's not worth it.

The trick with technology is to pick your price point and buy the best thing available at that price when you're ready to buy. In my opinion fuel injection such as the FiTech has already hit the magic price point that makes it a better choice than a carb, especially for a daily driver. I didn't think so when a decent system ran $2K or more, but now a good street system is only a couple hundred bucks more than a good carb. The advantages of fuel injection are worth more than than a couple hundred bucks to me, so I'm pulling the trigger while FiTech has that rebate. It'll be my Christmas present to me. :)

10. 8pack

I pulled the trigger and my Fitech arrives this afternoon. I am getting the O2 Bung welded in on Tuesday so I am on my way. I also ordered the RobbMc Power surge tank. It is back ordered 4 weeks but he has an upgraded unit coming out which is now stainless and is adjustable so you can get the fittings lined up better.

Will update as progress happens!