1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Went to the storage place today to work on the car. Not a lot accomplished but a couple of small things:

1. Got the MSD box unmounted from the charcoal canister are to make room for the power surge.
    2. mounted a new Lokar Dipstick....I have a question about the lower dipstick tube cross post is here- http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g245/wjpacker/General Camaro/IMG_20170102_142150_zpsmr5p6url.jpg
    3. PCV was almost certainly bad, not rattling around when I shook it. Put a new Napa one in. I don't think I recommend the Billet Specialties one. Research says other have had problems as well. I think that is the source of the oil along the underside of the car, too much crankcase pressure? Hopefully no seals are damaged.
    A couple of pointer for those putting the Lokar dipstick in. The only real trick is the mounting bracket that goes under the header bolt may be a bit too wide on the end. I just ground it down until it matched the radius of the bolt and it mounted right up. Even though I was able to do it on my own a second pair of hands would be helpful to push the dipstick back so the mounting tab is flush to the exhaust and then it is easier to tighten the bolt by hand so you don't cross thread it.

Also looking for some opinions on where to mount my MSD box....2 pics. The first to the side of the washer bottle or on top of the inner fender well. Pics below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New dipstick.....

[​IMG]

2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Could mount msd under the console on trans hump. Good spot and you don't have to see it. Like the vale covers. The blocked PVC could of ben contributing to the leak,it does help with oil control.

3. 8pack

Good idea. I am going to noodle that. I would have to re-route all my wires but a lot changes with the Sniper anyway. It does get very hot around the shifter though.

4. 8pack

Went out to the storage unit and did some small stuff.

• Drained the transmission fluid. I figured it was worth changing after a 2k miles since it was new.
    • I was getting a clunk in the chassis when going over bumps. I think it was the exhaust hitting underneath. I wedged shims in the rear hangers to tighten it up. Will find out in the spring if that fixes it.
    • Test fit the PowerSurge and figured out a mounting configuration. It fits nicely in the charcoal canister area.
    • I bought some really long zip ties and tied the brake lines to the frame to keep them away from the wheels.
    • Building a breather/oil catch can based on one COPO did. Got my can and petcock today so that is underway....
    I wanted to start getting the hard lines routed and the MSD re-mounted but I forgot my tubing bender, flaring tool and drill....next time.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  5. 8pack

Brief Update - Finished the Breather Catch Can....Thanks COPO (see his mod, I copied his catch can) A couple of mods. I used a Chemtool can which was $3 with the fuel injection cleaner in it instead of the Sea foam can which was $11. I also did not use the original cap, I JB Welded a large washer to the bottom of the can and then JB Welded the petcock in that hole. Seemed sturdier than using the original plastic cap. I also use 3/4 Pex tubing in the can instead of copper. I finished it off with Chassis black paint.

Primered and glued:

[​IMG]

Final Painted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 8pack

Got the Car out of Storage today, woo hoo! I spent the day buffing the car out and getting a shine back on it. The 17 YO paint job is getting a little tired and making me start to think about a re-spray...but that will have to wait.....

A few updates....

I will post some pics later, but I replaced the courtesy lights with LED bulbs, WOW awesome what a difference, best $10upgrade ever!

I have been watching this thread on PCV Valves. Before I put my car away I just felt like it wasn't running that great, I has oil leaking at the valve covers and I thought I had a warped valve cover, When I stomped on the gas under load I dumped a huge amount of blue smoke out the exhaust, I was leaking oil somewhere I still am not sure where from. After reading that thread and all the issues with a bad PCV it struck me that maybe mine was bad. I took the old one out and it did not rattle. It was an expense polished one. I bought a cheap one at Napa. When I drove the car home today it ran wayyyy better, no blue smoke under load and I did not see any evidence of the valve covers leaking. I haven't gotten under the car yet to see If I still have a leak somewhere else. I am going to switch to 2 hollowed out ones next weekend and hook up my breather tank. We will see if that changes anything further.

My passenger door is not opening reliably so that has to come apart ASAP to figure out what is going on there...

Projects for this year to finish:
    • Repair passenger door
    • Center console recover and install along with ne gauge cluster
    • Holley Sniper Install
    • G braces
    • New Wheels

Good start to the year. Here it is all polished up....

[​IMG]

7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Looking good

8. 8pack

Not sure who's watching, but looking for some opinions. About to order my holley sniper. It comes in Black and polished silver. Anything bare metal seems to pit or oxidize over time but maybe the black will get scratched up... What do you think?

upload_2017-5-12_18-49-17.png

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Both will degrade over time just like any car part...if you are careful and are not pulling the carb all the time i would say go with the black.

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I vote polished ,if ya scratch it you can polish it back and keep it clean with a good polish