1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

I do like the polished look but getting into the nook and crannies to polish this stuff up is a pain in the butt.

2. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

Another for polished.

3. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

Most of it will be under the intake, my vote is black.

4. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here are some pics with the LED dome light and courtesy lights installed. In real life they are even better than the pics.

Back seat. Before you couldn't see anything back there, now like daytime...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front seats and foot wells.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

LED lights make a world of difference. Looks good!

6. 8pack

I got my breather can finally hooked up properly. I am running 2 fixed orifice (hollow) PCV valves connected to the breather can. The car runs waaay better. I think part of my carb problems were from the bad PCV. It idles better, runs cooler (maybe not related) and just generally runs smoother. I am not losing oil from the valve covers anymore and any other leaks seem to be mostly gone.

Got some small steps done in terms of getting set up for the fuel injection. Relocated the MSD box to next to the washer fluid reservoir and got the Rob MCC power surge mounted in the spot where the Charcoal canister sits and I had previously mounted the MSD Box. I cut a block of Azek and painted it black. I mounted it to the core support with sheet metal screws and then mounted the tank bracket to that... Now I need to just place the order for the Sniper....

MSD Box Mounted

[​IMG]

Power surge bracket
    [​IMG]
    Power Surge Mounted

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Lights look real nice.

8. 8pack

Ordered my sniper this AM along with a new 180* thermostat and some header wrap and other supplies for the sniper install. Car is running to cool now ever since I fixed the bad PCV and went with the dual hollow ones and the breather can. Sniper is backordered until the end of July so this may end up being a fall early winter project before it goes into storage.

I am looking forward to the install as every time I start the car I have to go through this extended warm up ritual trying to keep the car idling. I can't get the electric choke working properly. It seems to never get to a high idle and come immediately off the high idle cam. I can't use the AC as I couldn't find a solid spot to mount the idle up solenoid.

More to come.

9. 8pack

Did some adjustments to the suspension today, actually just the shocks. I always felt the car was too "solid" since I upgraded the springs and shocks. I was recently reading on here how the shock had more effect than anything else on ride quality. I pulled off the Konis and set them to the lightest setting. Car seems to be improved in terms of comfort but I only drove it for about 10 mins. Will find out over the next several weeks. I also wrapped the header tube with heat wrap that runs right next to the AC Suticase to give that a little better heat protection. It is a real PITA to wrap a header while it is still on the car!

While I had the wheels off I decided to try and measure for wheels. In another post in the suspension section I was trying to figure out how the wheels would clear the parking brake cable on the drivers side. People seem to think it would. I bought a Percy's wheel measuring tool, which BTW is a piece of flimsy junk. I am sending it back, it is just garbage and a rip off at $70. FYI, It only goes out to 5" BS even though it says 5.5".

Anyway, below is a pic of the wheel mock up tool. The grey represents the edge of an 18x9.5 wheel with 5.5"BS. Definitely hits the parking brake cable. Maybe I can tie it back? The tire will protrude further so that will likely rub. I am very stumped. I see lots of people running 18" wheels with 5.75" BS, I have no idea how they are doing that with a Disc brake set up ('79 TA). Otjhers with the same set up say they are. Also likes like I have to hammer the seat belt hump even with a 275 tire but others claim they are easily running 285s.

Going to post in the suspension section as well

[​IMG]

10. 8pack

Got some little stuff dint today and have a question as well...

Changed out my return springs. The pedal felt too soft and I always had an inconsistency when letting off the gas and it returning to idle. Haven't tested it yet.

Adjusted the high idle screw but did not test yet either.....

Finally mounted my passenger sun visor which has been in the trunk waiting to be out on for 20 years!!

Took passenger side door panel off as I need to remount my door handle. The usual where the screw pulled out. Ordered some rivnuts and going to try those. I am hoping I can get them to work without the special tool. I was also thinking of JB welding in a standard blind nut. Getting them at the right and I think is the trick.

Now the question. Was having trouble opening my passenger door from the inside. Lubed everything up and it seems to be working again. BUT, when you pull on the interior handle it seems to have a much longer throw than the drivers side before it starts to engage the latch. Is there an adjustment any where on that or a retainer that holds it tighter against the door as it slides so there is less play?