1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. xten

xten Veteran Member

Hi Bill!
    Hey, if you need rivnuts or the tool, I have them. If I don't have the right size, HF is 10 minutes away. On some years, I don't remember which, there was a plastic clip on the door frame that the linkage rod snaps into.The linkage bends after years on the interior handle, just may need bent back to correct shape. Just read your whole thread...again. sounds like you've gone 10 rounds with yours too! I know, not funny, but if we didn't have problems, that would probably mean we're not doing much! (at least in my case). I know it makes me appreciate the victories, no matter how small they may be. If there's anything I can do, PM me, maybe come on down to the South Hills and see how the hayseeds live! Might be able to get bodymanbill here. He's only 10-15 minutes away!

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Excellent. I am going to pick a time to swing by. Will PM you! I never heard that term hayseed until I moved here from NJ, a friend from WV used it. My hands are all cut up from wrapping the header yesterday. I pulled on the metal zip ties to hold the header wrap on and sliced my hands all up plus all the reaching up and around the header I got all cut up on various things, so still bleeding for this baby.

I have been trying to find that plastic clip and figure out where it goes. There is one for the door lock linkage and that is on there. If anyone has any info or tips on whether there is supposed to be one and where to buy and look let me know.

Tomorrow I may put some time into the center console, going to NJ first week in August and there is a great Upholstery guy there so if I can have it ready I may be able to drop it on Monday and pick it up on Friday.....Need to figure out how to mount the gauge pod, have cup holder cut but would also like a cell phone holder that holds the phone so I can see the GPS as well as charge it.

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Does the clip for the door lock linkage have two grooves in it? I know some cars use one clip to stabilize both rods if they are parallel. I take so many doors apart, I get them cornfused. Yeah, us hayseeds are back in the cut! lol.
    As I've said before, I think they sharpen the edges on these cars. When I was putting in the VA and plug wires and looms on, it looked like I wiped my arms off with barbed wire.
    We have what we call "the magic toolbox". It's overflowing with fasteners,bulb sockets, etc. We get LKQ parts for some cars, and strip clips and such from them. There may be something in there we could use. Magic tool box is usually good for one. Any more than that, you're on your own. lol.
    Did you get in touch with Executive Motors in Butler for the console? I could get you their number on Wednesday if you like.

4. 8pack

So had the car out today running errands. U can fit a lot more than you think! Flower power!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did not try executive motors yet. Working in my console today. Want to have it 80% so when I bring it by they can give me a real quote. Not sure what I want to cover it with other than vinyl. Would like to do something different.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

I kinda like the floral touch. Might get a little messy keeping them watered. Maybe mulch the dash and console? That'd be a nice effect...I'll bet you got some looks and maybe a car guy or two cringing.

6. 8pack

I finished the core for my gauge carrier. I have some carbon fiber sheet that will get laminated onto it with 3m adhesive film/tape. The extra holes are pre drilled for switches and additional pilot holes if I want to add more and I can decided later whether to cut through the carbon fiber to add them. FYI the picture is upside down, curved part on bottom to match contours of the little tray in front of the shifter.

Sanded it progressively smoother ending with 400 grit. Then took very thin cyanoacrylate (super glue) and flooded the wood with it to fill in the pores. Sanded it and did it again. That fully sealed it and made a rock hard non porous surface for the adhesive to bond to. Ignore the big chip, the CF will cover it as it is rigid.

I beveled the bottom edge so it will sit nicely at an angle in the console. Need to make a mounting bracket next. Not much to look at and you can't tell it is sealed and super smooth but gives you an idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. xten

xten Veteran Member

Good ideas. Never thought of superglue, Kinda always went for the go-to mud with wood.

8. 8pack

Small progress on the console/gauge cluster.

First I got some aluminum angle stock which I am using to mount the wood gauge cluster to the console. I drilled holes to mount it to the console floor. In the gauge cluster I drilled holes for button head stainless machine screws to mount the cluster to the bracket.

I am a bit stuck as I need the right tools to carve out the aluminum bracket to contour the the cluster. I tried some dremel cutters but they didn't really work. I will figure something out. Pics below...

Bracket Drilled for mounting
    [​IMG]

Marked for mounting holes
    [​IMG]

Mounted in console
    [​IMG]

Gauge cluster mocked up with bracket. When the carbon fiber is mounted you will just see the gauges and steel button heads. I need to cut away all that aluminum.
    [​IMG]

Blind nuts will be jb welded to the back of the bracket.

[​IMG]

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I have done something like that but made out of polished aluminum.

10. xten

xten Veteran Member

I like the fact that the gauges set back a bit. Mine are up front of that compartment, which renders it completely useless. Can you see them OK in the driver's seat?