1978 Z28- Seee Ya!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 8pack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here is my list of colors so far. For you purists, the stock color is last on the list right now. BMB is hopefully going to be able to give me a sample spray out on the first 3 colors. Really interested to see how the Porsche color looks.
    1. Ford Vintage Burgundy Metallic - Ford Vintage Burgundy Metallic - Ford PCCL35 (SW Code)
    2. GM Dark Claret - 78 and 78 - WA7112 - PPG 3212
    3. Porsche Burgundy Red Metallic - PPG 944500 (unless it is a pearl)
    4. Cordovan Maroon Metallic - GM WA321 - PPG 50775
    5. Madeira Maroon - GM WA3307 - PPG 50700
    6. Cabernet red - Ford 2H-M6156
    7. Long Beach red (2019 Corvette) - GM GLE WA405Y - I think this is a Pearl? If so, no go.
    8. Carmine GM 77 - WA7029

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

What's wrong with pearls Bill?

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If your changing the colour then what’s wrong with black like I ordered? You already have the gold turbine wheels that I also had. If it was my car, it would be the original colour unless I wanted another 78 Z28 like mine then maybe it would get black.

4. 8pack

I think they are a lot more expensive and harder to match later....No?

I just had to replace the door and front fender on my wife's new 2020 Subaru with 130Miles on it here in MA....(Don't ask!), It has the pearl white paint and it was a $4k job. They said it would have been signifcantly cheaper if it had been a standard paint color.....

There really is no avoiding some bumper rash on these urethane nosed cars. Somebody always gets you no matter how hard you try and park out of the way. Also, given the long area of the doors and quarters and the way everything goes up into the roofline if there are other repairs it seems the pearls would be harder to get right? Since any repairs in the future will need to be done out here and I won't have the skills of you or The BMB available I thought I should pick a paint I knew would be straightforward to match in the future.

I really don't know enough but was just trying to be logical about the paint choice. If I am going to go to the trouble to change colors I would love to do a pearl but don't want to have troubles down the line if the unfortunate happens....This is the last paint job for this car in my lifetime!!

I will take any thoughts offered!!

I love black!....But the car has to be just crazy perfect straight, like concourse straight, for a black paint job to look good and it is a real bitch to manage the swirl marks etc and keep clean. I hope it is crazy perfect straight anyway, but if anything is just a bit off it will show and it will make me crazy for years to come. Plus, I want to keep it in the same color family as I do like the Maroon/burgundy color family and the gold decal accents are nicely set off by that color.

Example: I am remodeling an apartment. Where the ceiling and walls meet there are small spots you would probably never notice where the colored paint got on the ceiling and I can't take it. I bought a small artist's brush to touch it up all the way around. Do I need to do it....NO! but I just can't take knowing its there...IF I don't fix it, every time I go out there its going to bug me...Just my mild OCD, but I am what I am!

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    dave@ztech likes this.
  5. xten

xten Veteran Member

That white is a 3 stage (tri-coat). They can be problematic. Most of the calls I got as a PPG Tech Rep were for 3 stage white. I would rather shoot a pearl bc/cc than a metallic one. More control and consistency, less mottling and clouding, and no more labor hours than a metallic. Also more dramatic effect than a metallic. More highlights, more "flop" with a pearl. Metallic flakes are opaque, pearl flakes are translucent, so they pick up more light and color.

6. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Bill I’ll try to call u tomorrow on the colors, was going to on Friday but only had a couple hours so I spent them finishing the decklid instead. When I looked up the colors some of the codes were no good and two had multiple colors with the same code, I’ll find time tomorrow when i have them up on my screen and we’ll figure them out.

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would also need to fix the paint on the ceiling.

8. 8pack

No Prob Bill. Whenever you get to it!

Phil, I thought all pearls were tricoats, base coat, pearl and clear? If not Bill and I will have to discuss further!!

9. xten

xten Veteran Member

No, most pearl colors are BC/CC

10. 8pack

This is the color I am leaning towards....Porsche Brugundy Red Metallic...AND yes it has a pearl base...apparently 3 different pearl colors!

Nothing final yet....

[​IMG]

simso and bodymanbill like this.