1979 camaro oil type

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by miastewie, Sep 9, 2021.

1. DennisG

DennisG Member

I think you are right about old engines with sludge and weak springs etc. I rebuilt an allis chalmers tractor engine which came with valve springs one could collapse in your hand 25 lbs was enough to squeeze them down. It would not ask much of its oil.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Framburger and French fry oil is the manager's special at Valvoline Instant Oil Change this month!

I add a little bottle of ZDDP Plus to my Mobil1 just to keep my cam out of Iowa. (It hasn't gone South yet!)

biker likes this.
  3. DennisG

DennisG Member

Oil sold when the car was made would be good oil for it. They were designed to work with eachother. Only rarely does one find a case of oil from those days for sale (they do exist, I saw one). That oil had much more zddp in it than oil sold now but it was hard on catylitic converters. You have these choices:
    1) add zddp to your oil or you can buy oil compounded for your flat tappet engine.
    2) replace the engine with a better one having roller cam followers .
    3) replace the entire power train with electric motors and batteries from a Tesla.
    4) put the car up on jackstands as an art object
    5) run the car into the ground as it is.

I run oil with zddp in one flat tappet car that I drive to race tracks and have three more on jackstands. For buying groceries and car parts, I use a new Toyota as it is well suited to that.
    The car should fit your needs.